More musky fun

FLATHEAD

Commander
Got out today for a bit on the lake. The bass bite was slow so I decided to throw some of this musky stuff. I am new to the musky game so I figured the practice would do me good. Found a shaded cove out of the wind and on my first cast I threw a 5 inch spook in firetiger, as I am walking the dog back to the boat I see a swrill behind the lure :eek: Holy smokes it was a big un and it was following my lure. As I got the lure close to the boat low and behold a musky and a nice one at that made a pass directly under the lure. Beginners luck I guess. Figure eight the lure with no result. ( figure eight with a big ole spook aint easy) I threw back the same lure two more times and nothing. I grab one of my bass rods with a jointed rapalla in firetiger and chucked in the general direction. Then Bam!! the fight was on for about 20 seconds :( That dude ripped that 12 pound test like it was thread. He rapped around a branch from a submerged tree. I think I am going to like this musky stuff :D . I learned today that I need two heavy rods along from now on.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: More musky fun

Go and get me all excited like that,... season don't even start here till june 5th. :( Sure gets the blood boiling though don't it. ;)

gonfishn

Commander

Ahhhhhhh yes..Them Tigers will short time anything less than the real strong rigs..Got your blood a boiling huh? just think had she hit when you were doing the figure of eight and hit it next to boat..You did good ..they generally won't leave the area and usually return to same territory.<br /><br />Remember that spot she probably will hang around there until the water temps go up..Saltfork is gettn closer and hope to see you there..Hope you been gettn my emails..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One more testimonial for the throwback technique, but you gotta have gear strong enough to survive. :eek:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

more fun than catching a few bass eh FH? :p <br />strong steel leaders are required... gators<br />got some BIG/sharp teeth!

FLATHEAD

Commander

M.Y. Not sure if it's more fun than catching a mess of bass, but it sure is a blast. I hear ya about the leaders, I have only one rod set up for musky and it did have a steel leader on it, takes away from the action of the lure a bit though. Went back yesterday and fished all morning, Got some bass and tried the same cove for the musky but no dice. <br /><br />Saw one of my buddies out on the water, I saw him eye up the muskey rod with a 6 inch lure on it. He got this strange look on his face. He did not say nothing about it but I am sure he will tell the rest of the gang that I might be losing my marbles :D <br /><br />Hey Gonfishn, here is a pic of a tiger they trapped at the lake last week. The PFBC demonstrated trap netting and had a public discusion of the fish at Nockamixon. It was an earth day thing.<br /><br />
P1010202sm2.jpg

JB

Nope. Not steel leaders.<br /><br />Braided titanium leaders flex like mono, never kink and cost so %^&* much you don't have any bux left to waste on lures that will never get wet. :D

gonfishn

Commander

Hate to admit it here but lost a 15$ lure last week not because of a steel leader but because of a bad tie...JB share some more on those Braided leaders..interesting..

JB

Nope. That's SS wire. It will kink eventually.<br /><br />Couldn't find it on their website.<br /><br />Try the Cabela's Walleye-Pike edition of their catalog. Page 74, item 11-5582 12", $14.99 for 2. <br /><br />Two will not be enough unless you are very lucky, but you will never have to change it because it ruins the action of a Rapala or gets all kinky.