More Horsepower??

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1993 Four Winns 190 Horizon. Its got a Ford 302 I think....OMC. I was wondering what some good ways are to get some extra power out of it. Not looking for anything too extraordinary, but want to get something more out of it. New carb, exhaust....??? Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks. McKenzie.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: More Horsepower??

McKenzie... Hate to kind of "shoot ya down", but there is not too much you can do to "bolt on" some extra power... A new marine carb ain't cheap, and HP exhaust is even more expensive, not to mention LOUD!!!<br /><br />I have found a few things which may help a bit tho...<br /><br />#1 Is obvious... Keep the engine tuned properly (ignition system and timing, clean and proper functioning carb and fuel system, ect.)... <br /><br />#2 Airflow = Horsepower... Airflow to the engine compartment and engine is very important.. K&N makes USCG approved flame arrestors which flow very well, without wrecking the budget...<br /> http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Fuel_Systems/085.asp <br /><br />#3 Does the boat have the correct propeller so the engine can reach it's max RPM? Might need to go up, or down, in the props size (diameter and pitch)...<br /><br />#4 Don't "load" the boat down with extra "stuff" that you don't absolutely need.... Keep all the safety gear aboard, of course...<br /><br />Have Fun and Enjoy your Boat.. :)

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks snapper. I don't mind spending some money, I just don't want to do anything too major like boring, stroking and porting the heads, or anything like that. Would a new carb be worth it. And is there a such thing as a "quiet" thru hull exhaust, or is that an oxymoron. Thanks. McKenzie

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

I switched to a 4 barrel on my boat and got about 4mph out of it. Of course it burns more fuel at wot. but at cruising consumption seems to be about the same. also there are little mufflers for thru hull systems but they are kind of pricey. check ebay for the captins call system that switches from thru hull to regular. also you can try messing with prop pitch. you can add roller rockers for a couple hundred bucks. that is sure to free up a couple of ponys. we did that on a friends boat at the same time we changed the cam. Almost all the engine speed tricks that work in a car should work on a boat.

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class

there is a bunch of bolt-on mods that you can get for a ford 302, will they give you more HP, yes, will they maybe cause other problems? maybe. <br /><br />I can think of a couple of things to "bolt-on" for your motor:<br /><br />1. K&N Flame Arrestor, claims 18hp on what who knows, they never give the actual test results on what motor. I have always put a K&N filter on my vehicles and do notice a bit of a torque increase. Make sure your engine compartment is getting enough airflow to "charge" up your filtercharger.<br /><br />2. Pulleys. Changing your pulleys to different diameters will decrease engine drag and increase horsepower. I put a set on my Mustang and probably got 15hp out of them. Granted a marine engine doesn't have a lot of accessories like A/C, smog pump, etc. The other thing with the pulleys is you will have to change belts and if you don't have one already, a serpentine belt is recommended since I am not sure if they make the pulley system for single belt system<br /><br />3. Carb. Not cheap. Since you will be increasing air flow into the carb, you need more gas into your carb. Stepping up from a 2-bbl to a 4-bbl can increase HP as well. Just be careful on what size you get, getting too big will have the opposite effect... loss of HP!<br /><br />4. Porting heads. This smooths out the intake and exhaust ports to get the air in better and exhaust out quicker. Could see a 25hp difference<br /><br />5. Camshaft. DO NOT GET A CAR CAM. Car cams are setup differntly since they hae a different power curve. Getting a cam that opens more and longer can help dramatically. Note: When you put in a cam like this, you need to change out the valve springs. Getting bigger valves will help as well.<br /><br />6. roller rocker arms as previously stated. They help by "rolling" over the valve tips instead of sliding. You can expect a 10-25hp gain from these. <br /><br />Having your heads ported, polished, new valves, valve springs, rocker arms, will increase your HP a lot. This won't be cheap. You could be looking at about at least $2000.00 without labor to do these. <br /><br />You may want to check around and ask marinas if you can slap on mustang heads on your 302 without messing up the power band. If you can, there is a set of heads out there that are complete for $1000.00 or so and they are aluminum. These heads are an instant 50hp over the stock mustang heads. <br /><br />Be a little creative, and make sure you ASK a marina about these modifications, if they say no do not do them.

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info guys, I'll let you know how it goes.