More Horsepower?

16Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
Messages
205
I have a 1997 40 hp Force and I was wondering if I can do a carb upgrade or something to get more horses out of her. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys -Chris
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: More Horsepower?

I believe the main difference between the 40s and 50s is the piston. The 50s have a hole in the skirt of the piston that aligns with one of the intake ports. At least that was true with Chryslers once upon a time.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: More Horsepower?

No too long ago, I compared the powerhead parts lists of the 1987-1994? 40 and 50 hp Force motors. They were identical except for the carbs.<br />I was surprised because on most "common block" motors, there are differences throughout the powerhead.<br /><br /><br />Don't know about the newer Mercury Forces though.<br /><br />I think the best you can do is to get it running at its best, and live with it.
 

16Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
Messages
205
Re: More Horsepower?

Thanks Roscoe, I would really like to see what I can do though. I am desperate for a little more HP.
 
Top