More help needed 1962 Evinrude 75hp

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice
Motor 1962 Evinrude 75hp Model 50528B.<br /><br />Can anyone tell me what years I can swap lower units with? I need a forward gear and clutch dog, But I can shell out the $300 for forward gear new, and cant find a good used one either. I have come across a few complete lower units cheaper that the gear alone?<br /><br />Also I tore down the unit, and the clutch dog was chipped pretty good, but the forward gear wasnt as bad as I thought, can these gears be machined slightly to give it a new edge where the dog rides?<br /><br />Thanks guys for your help, just hope I dont over do it, but you guys have alot of good advice and such.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: More help needed 1962 Evinrude 75hp

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most V-4 mechanical-shift gearcase from the 1960s should work (60, 75, 90). I think the only two options were the electric and mechanical shift versions. You can't tell the difference visually except one has a shift shaft and the other has a pair of wires. The 75s use the same gearcase for both versions (the 40s had very obvious differences), so be aware of that in your search. The gears would be completely different.<br /><br />If you can find a machinist with diamond-bit milling capabilities, you can get those surfaces dressed. But you'll grind past the surface hardening into softer metal and it will fail quicker, although I'd think it'd last a few years. You have to be sure the faces on the shifter are also clean. You should get a new one of those.

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Willy. <br /><br />Also as I was inspecting the gears, naturally the reverse gear has very little wear. So I was thinking, the only diffrence I can see in the 2 gears is that the forward gear has the bushing pressed in, while the reverse has a free floating bushing. <br /><br />Is it possible to remove the bushing from the forward gear and press it in the reverse gear?<br /><br />I am getting a new clutch dog for sure. Just trying to figure out the best possible cheap way of gettin my classic back on the water.<br /><br />BTW my boat is a fairly restored 1959 14' Larson, which I like to hook up to my 59 Caddy for fun and pics (I dont haul it around with the Caddy tho)<br /><br />Thanks again!

Paul Moir

Admiral

I don't know about the V-4s but in the larger twins of that time the difference was in the bearings. That is, you could press the bearing out of 'forward' gear and press it into the old 'reverse gear. Then you just need to clean up the old 'forward' one so the reverse bearing spins freely in it.<br />I've never tried this in practice though.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Switching that bushing was/is a common practice if the gear lobes wern't worn bad.... that is worn somewhat but good enough to hold in reverse as one does not use full throttle in reverse.

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds good. I went to about 7 various machine/toolist places asking if they could renew the edges and only one seemed interested and he wouldnt be able to get to it for 3 weeks.<br /><br />Also I was givin a part number for the cluth 312054, but I just got my parts catalog I ordered today, and it list the number as 307095, but my catalog is slightly wrong, my motor model number 50528B and this catalog is for 50528A, so I have to exchange it, but I'm wondering what number is right so I can get the new clutch.<br /><br />There was a modification to the prop shaft after production, they had the dealers drill and install a detent ball that would hold the clutch in neutral, mine was never modified, so maybe that is the why the numbers dont match?<br /><br />Thanks!!!

alcan

Commander

Hi desert bassin<br />Your part manual is correct for your motor. The orignal part#307095 is listed in your book. This number was superceded to 312054. Part#s are superceded all the time for various reasons. The addition of the detent balls may have had something to do with this one, I would have to look up the service bullitens from then (1962) and then I'm not sure I could tell. If your interested in making the modification and adding detent balls I can look up the S.B. for you, if you do not allready have this info.

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

Alcan, I'd like to do the modification, but I doubt I could find the fixture that they used to slide on the shaft to drill the hole 'perfectly' centered.<br /><br />I did manage to press the bushing out of the original forward gear, and press it in the original reverse gear, so I'm all set to go as soon as I get the clutch and if possible have the dentent ball modification done too.<br /><br />Thanks again for all the info, it has really helped me out alot, I dont have many marine places(since I live in the middle of nowhere in the desert with no water)to rely on for info and or parts, and the ones we do have would rather sell ya something than help ya fix something, but then again,they are in the biz to make money.