More Gas tank stuff

edandq

Seaman Apprentice
I just read the large thread on getting rid of gas in a portable tank. My question is this. I just switched from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke. I will eventually intall a large tank that is fixed, but in the mean time I'd like to get on the water using my old portables, but they were mixed gas. How can I clean them out for gas only?

D

DJ

Re: More Gas tank stuff

Just get rid of the old fuel. There won't be enough of a residual to make any diffeence.<br /><br />The tanks DO NOT need to be cleaned.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I've run mixed gas on my 4 stroke lawnmower and even put it in my car at times. Unless the gas is old, I don't see why you couldn't run it. I'd just add more fresh gas. Can anyone else comment on this practice? I'm not sure how a modern 4 stroke outboard would do with it? I don't see any harm in it...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Edandq, The oil left in the residual gas will not be significant or make any difference to your new 4 cycle OB. I normally run 4 oz Marval Mystery oil/10 Gal gasoline in my 4 cycle sterndrive. I think the lubrication slows down the rusting of the cast iron intake manifold, and it cannot hurt to have some lubrication on the valves, top of the cylinder etc.

ZmOz

Captain

Yeah, I use 50:1 in my 4 cycle lawnmower every time. Smokes a little more, but I already lost those brain cells a long time ago. :D

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have read a number of posts which warn about using OB pre mix in late model automobiles due to all of the sensors and computer controls. I would not hesitate in dumping it in a lawnmower or 55 Chevy though.