More child abuse

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I can not get over people that would abuse children. My only hope is that they have no chance of getting anymore kids.<br /><br />Read on:<br />______________________________________________<br />Fla. Couple Accused of Child Abuse Caught<br /><br />By MIKE BRANOM<br />INVERNESS, Fla. (AP) - A Florida couple accused of torturing and starving five adopted children - including pulling out their toenails and subjecting them to electric shocks - were captured Friday in southeastern Utah after police tracked them through their cell phones, officials said.<br /><br />John and Linda Dollar were jailed in San Juan County, Utah, on Florida warrants of felony aggravated child abuse.<br /><br />The family included seven adopted children between the ages of 12 and 17. Five of the children told investigators they were tortured by the couple, subjected to electric shocks, beatings with hammers and having their toenails yanked out with pliers.<br /><br />Authorities said the abused five had physical injuries to back up their claims and were severely malnourished. They told of being forced to sleep in a closet in the Dollars' bedroom because the couple accused them of stealing food and misbehaving, said Citrus County sheriff's spokeswoman Gail Tierney.<br /><br />They looked like the photos that we've seen of Auschwitz,'' said Tierney, describing 14-year-old twins, one weighing 36 pounds, the other 38 pounds, about 80 pounds below the normal weights for their age.<br /><br />The other two children were favored by the Dollars and were uninjured, Tierney said. All seven are in state custody.<br /><br />In the past two years, the Dollars have moved their family to at least three different homes in the Tampa area after living in Tennessee, secluding themselves behind fences and in piney groves. The children were home-schooled and rarely played with neighbors or enjoyed the family's pool.<br /><br />Who has seven kids and the kids never go out and play?'' asked Dawn Crescimone, who lived near the family in suburban Tampa two years ago.<br /><br />The family had lived in Beverly Hills, about 85 miles north of Tampa, since August. John Dollar, 58, is a commercial real estate appraiser and his 51-year-old wife taught the children at home. The Dollars' 3,800-square foot home is surrounded by a thick pine forest, and has a pool, spa and a three-car garage.<br /><br />DCF began investigating the couple when a 16-year-old boy living in their home was rushed to the hospital on Jan. 21 with severe injuries after one of the other children called for an ambulance. The family included three girls, ages 12, 13 and 17; three 14-year-old boys, two of them twins, and the 16-year-old boy.<br /><br />They are safe and they are doing as well as can be expected given the circumstances,'' DCF spokesman Bill D'Aiuto said.<br /><br />Tennessee Department of Children's Services officials said Friday they hadn't investigated the Dollars while they lived in that state.<br /><br />Gov. Jeb Bush said the couple adopted the children in the 1990s. DCF officials said the adoption records were sealed, but there were no other prior abuse reports involving the family in Florida.<br /><br />In a 1995 application with the Department of Children & Families, Linda Dollar wrote that she left home at age 16 because of her alcoholic and abusive father. She also wrote that her first marriage ended because of abuse.'' She gave no other details.<br /><br />The comments were included in 164 pages of documents from when the Dollars applied to become foster parents. The department released them Friday.

ob

Admiral
Re: More child abuse

What the &^(*()&';.";?'$#@^%??That's a troubling story to hear.How do these cruel and heartless horror stories get overlooked for so long??Do people just turn their cheek or have these two monsters been able to conceal the children away from sight and sound.It just makes me both sick and angry to hear this kinda stuff.Thank God it was discovered at all.Many children didn't have that fortune.I pray the system puts these animals away somehwere in a dark dreary place to ponder their selfish and controlling cruelty.Gutless predacious cowards is what these people are.May God have mercy on their souls,because I'm fresh out. :(

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

That is just so sad. Those poor children. I weep for them.<br />Bassy :mad: :mad:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Just so you can put a face with the crime.<br />
20050203MH101.jpg

ob

Admiral

Hopefully those pics were taken before the arrest.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Believe it or not, most people that would see this in their neighborhood will never get involved and make a call for fear of having to testify or fear the so called parents will know they called. Annonomous calls usually do not get investigated because there is no way to tell what kind of facts back up the stories. Also the constitution does not allow the government, even in a situation as bad as this, to go into the home or invade the privacy of the parents. Good idea behind the 4th amendment, but does not fit all situations.<br />I wonder who slipped up and allowed them to adopt. The history of abuse the mother shows, in my state she would never be allowed to adopt. Abusive father, then abusive ex-husband shows too much history. Also the former neighbor only NOW says it was odd for children to never play outside. She was suspicious 2 years ago but never spoke out? <br />Believe it or not I have worked similar cases. I have never seen cases of abuse to this extent, but the denial of food, locking in closets, torture for punishment. The worse one I stopped was with 2 children kept in one bedroom. If they left they were beaten. They would have to stand in a corner with arms out in front for hours Every time their arms dropped they would get beat with a belt, punched, kicked, scalded, burnt with cigarettes. 4 hours was the usual time for the arm lift. No 5 year old can stand holding arms out in front for 4 hours! The parents would leave for sometimes up to a week, the children would be locked in a bedroom with maybe a loaf of bread or a bag of chips.<br />One of the few scenes I ever cried over.<br />Hope the system protects these children and imposes the max on the parents! Then maybe check into the adoption process. Can't look at this one because records are sealed, but do something to prevent a repeat!

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Hope the system protects these children and imposes the max on the parents!
Took the words right out of my mouth. Boy they sure look like normal people, don't they? If they were walking down the street I wouldn't know them as the monsters they are. Oh this sure makes me angry!

LadyFish

Admiral

I am phsycally sickened by this story and others like it. These poor children only wanting/needing a place to call home and loving parents to shelter them.<br /><br />My father was adopted and suffered certain abuses, none as sick and horrific as those stated in this case. The scars never heal. There is not a worse act against humanity than abusing a defenseless child.<br /><br />My heart bleeds for these kids. How in the hell these parents were able to adopt is beyond comprehension. There is no punishment allowed that fit this type of crime. Two extremely sick and demented individuals and I could give a flying flip about Mrs. Dollar's abuse she suffered as a child. There are ways to break the pattern and NOT pass it on to your children or in this case someone elses.<br /><br />I can't even put into words my disgust and anger. I'd better stop now before I say something thats not very ladylike. :mad:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

DCF should have known something was wrong with this adoption. Why else would anyone want 7 teenagers in the same house?<br /><br />This is a tragic story with a bitter sweet ending. I say that because the children are still alive and still have a chance for a future.

SpinnerBait_Nut

UPDATE; This just an update on another case involving a priest.<br />Read on.<br />_______________________________________________<br />Jury finds defrocked priest guilty in child rape case -<br />Former priest Paul Shanley has been found guilty on child rape charges at his trial in Massachusetts. Shanley was accused of raping and fondling a boy from 1983 to 1989 at St. Jean's church in Newton, beginning when the youngster was 6.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I hear their future cellmates have a way of dealing with child abusers. Usually only one outcome. There are other ways of imposing a Death sentence other than coming right out and doing it. ;)

SoulWinner

Commander

Put these animals in stocks in the town square. Let justice be served by the towns people. Save a LOT of taxpayer money, make an example for other wackos, and improove our society all at once!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yes WBW, there's one thing that I have heard is that inmates don't like child abusers, ask Dahmer(sp) about it, oh yea, you can't, they got him.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

In most prisons child molesters and rapists are put into PC (protective custody or punk city whichever you prefer). They are kept safe from other inmates.<br />My choice would be after convicted the guilty should be forced to wear a sandwich sign saying what they were convicted of, and nothing else, then forced to march up and down main street every day at 1:00 allowing the citizens to do whatever they want short of killing. After a month of this a short rope and a long drop. That may be too quick though, maybe a short rope and a short slow drop so they know exactly what is coming.

Stratosfied

Ensign

My heart aches for those kids. The press release stated that they were foster parents. Here in Alabama there is a dire need for foster parents and the parents recieve an allotment of money for each child. Don't know if this is the case in this situation or not, but I have seen some of the kids in foster care who would have rather been in a state institution. Perhaps they will meet a swift, harmful fate. :mad:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Stratosfied:<br />That's the way it is here in Ky. and it is amazing the people that they let do this.<br /><br />There was a 50 something year old women that had 11, that's right, 11 foster kids.<br />She was a single foster parent too.<br />She was not in good health and the older kids(16&17) would help out with food and such for the younger ones.<br /><br />I forget what they paid per child, but she made out like a bandit.<br /><br />The kids were not dirty, but their clothes could have been better and wore tennis shoes year round and lived in an older house that could have had some help on the fix up part.<br /><br />I say it is a break-down in the foster care department for not doing more of a check-up on prospective foster parents.