More about the Merc timing Corm...

chrisross

Cadet
My timing sticker is a little bit chewed up and has some paint overspray on it. The only part of the sticker I can make out is the area between -12degrees and 12 degrees. Am I missing any other information on it? <br />Assuming I have a dial indicator I should: 1.accurately set the piston head .464" recessed from TDC, 2.Set the plastic indicator even with the circular indentation on the flywheel. 3. Check .464 mark on sticker which should now line up with indentation and pointer, 4. When I roll flywheel forward and TDC on sticker is lined up with the plastic pointer, Piston should be at TDC. Is this correct? I'm guessing that the .464 mark is used to line up the timing sticker while applying it to the flywheel surface.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: More about the Merc timing Corm...

Ya Chris,<br />You got it.Your just about certified.<br />The 27 degree mark is probably covered up.<br />Just measure it and add it on to the end of<br />the 12 deg+ 12+3=27,but you know that anyway.<br />I use a sharpy to mark the max spark adv.<br />Set the max adv while running at WOT on the<br />water,much more accurate.<br />...have fun...corm