More 9.5 problems

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice
Well I got help here before getting the motor to run. Now I need a little help keeping it running. It will run at an idle for 3 or 4 minutes , then it will quit just like it locks every thing up. I can pull the starter rope and it will start just fine and run again for a few more minutes and do the same thing. I am getting water out the back so the motor is getting water. Is the another carb problem or gas. Or is it an electrical problem.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice
Re: More 9.5 problems

Quess I should have stated that this is a 9.5 Johnson, 1972.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would guess you still have a fuel issue. You stated in your earlier post that you found crud in the high speed jet. Perhaps there is some junk messing with the low speed circuit also. I would pull the core plug to be sure the low speed passages and port into the carb throat is absolutley clean. Obviously, you'll need a replacement core plug, or better yet buy a $12 kit and it should come with it.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

I think you are right, no sense trying to get by the cheap way. Thanks.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Your other post about having some water coming out around the upper section reminded me of something. There's a pretty regular problem with the 9.5s that let exhaust gases up into the powerhead area which eventually suffocate the engine. Does the problem go away if you leave the cowling off?<br />Now I'm pretty ignorant of the 9.5hp, so hopefully wayne34609 or someone else can come along and confirm this. I really don't even know if the water leak and exhaust gas leak can be related.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

I havn't tryed with the cowling on, maybe I'll do that when I get the carb out of the soak tank. Thanks .

Walker

Captain

Do you have to pump the fuel bulb after it dies?? And does it get rock hard when you do pump it.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

I got the carb out of the soak and put it back together, It runs great while I pump the bulb. I took the fuel line off while not squeezing the bulb and it wasn't pumping. I order a fuel pump rebuild kit for it. I think I'm okay now. The thing purrs pretty nice. Thanks for all the help.