Mooring Whips on an aluminum dock

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an aluminum dock on legs that is 4' wide by 30' long, overall.

I am thinking about using some whips for my boat, 2006 maxum 1800 SR3, which is about 20' long with the swim platform.

Can I safely use the whips on my dock, or am I asking for trouble? Any thoughts on attachment methods?

I'm hoping someone with direct experience can chime in.

Thanks

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mooring Whips on an aluminum dock

I'd make sure I had a sturdy backing plate as a minimum.

See you on the lake

Joe

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Not sure of the question. I always bolt the whip bases to the dock. My dock is composite, however.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THanks for the replies guys!

I guess I am more concerned about the leverage of the whips tipping or moving my dock, as it is not anchored to the bottom.

I was assuming a good aluminum backing plate to anchor to.

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the whip will move the dock, the boat will dislodge it if it hits it. Is the dock not fastened to something? It should be fastened to the bulkhead or bottom, if it is a fixed dock. Floating docks need some kind of anchor system as well.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply Chris

My boat doesn't move the dock now when it is tied to it, but I am wondering if being on whips it will tip, or move the dock because of leverage.

The dock just sits on the bottom of the river with no attachment points, but it hasn't moved at all, even with 3 boats tied to it.

Cheers

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the dock needs to be anchored.... if nothing else drive some pilings to attach it too

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My floating aluminum dock has mooring whips on it that I use regularly. It's held in place by an anchor offshore and a cable. The side loads on the dock with a crosswind are much higher when a boat is on it. That's whether it's on whips or not. The whips let the boat move and float with wakes and it is still easy to get in or out of when someone just wants to sit in it at the dock.
You can set the load on the whips so you don't lever the dock much at all. Mine is 8' wide so that makes quite a difference but mine has no negative affect from the whips. It's all positive. With a tower on your boat you might want to look at whips that are hinged and spring vertical when they are undone.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the dock needs to be anchored.... if nothing else drive some pilings to attach it too

I often boat on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. Most of the docks there are seasonal; the docks are removed from the lake in the off-season to avoid damage from ice. Seasonal standing (not floating) docks are typically not anchored or secured by pilings. Standing docks on Winnipesaukee are held in place by gravity.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again for the replies guys!

Smoke, we have booms out behind the boat, so I don't have a lot of wave action to deal with, as the booms break the waves down a bit, it is mainly wakes that I have to deal with.

I did not know they had hinged whips, good call rallyart!

DBreskin, do the standing docks have whips on them?

Thanks
CP

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My uncle has had whips on his floating, non-anchored, dock for many years now with no issues. It is a pretty substantial dock though.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THanks EZ

I am leaning towards trying the whips on the dock. It will be next year, as I have pulled my boat onto the trailer, and don't know if I will have time to get wet again this fall.

Cheers

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well I spose i COULD be wrong but I would have the dock at least staked at the shoreline... either way good luck

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Smoke.

I am absorbing all comments in this thread.

Cheers