Mooring Knots..

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey there, I have a 19' Doral runabout. This is the first year I have a slip for the boat to stay in. I was wondering what the best type of knot to use for mooring? I should state I have no experience in knot tying.<br /><br />Thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mooring Knots..

Does both the boat AND the slip have cleats? If it has cleats you won't need the link I have added below for the slip. However, I strongly recommend that you learn the first two on the list. The bowline is used anytime you are trying to secure something to a ring of some type i.e. tying a line to your bow eye. The clove hitch is used when tying to some sort of fixed rod i.e. hanging fenders from your bow rail. The clove hitch is really cool because it is easy to adjust for length etc., will not slip and is very easy to undo. The bowline is the best and strongest knot for tying to a ring like I said before, also easy to untie.<br /><br /> http://www.42brghtn.mistral.co.uk/knots/42ktmenu.html

QC

Supreme Mariner

Here is how you tie to a cleat.<br /><br /> http://www.boatsafe.com/kids/cleat.htm <br /><br />If your lines have a fixed loop already in them, then you slide the whole loop through the "center" of the cleat and then pull the loop around both of the cleats "ears".

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chinese water knot is good, it is so hard to untie<br />that it will maake your eyes water, Simpleton in Raleigh

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quietcat,<br /><br />That link showed up very well. <br /><br />Just one comment - I would never leave my boat tied to a cleat that way. I always double up on the safety twist by repeating it both ends of the cleat, then making sure the tail is wetted and hung down inside the boat, so that it isn't caught by the wind, which can move the rope and loosen the twist.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I agree on the double use of the safety twist; I didn't notice that, good catch!!!<br /><br />I like to coil my lines on the dock; looks cool. Your system of putting the line back in the hull is probably safer.

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the help guys. That was great...