mooring at sea wall

What is the best material to use to protect the side of a boat when it is moored to a concrete sea wall- old tires or something else.<br /><br />Also to determine the type of anchor depends on material at bottom of the lake. But how do you determine the size? We have a 20 ft pontoon with 60 horsepower 4 stroke engine.

NathanY

Commander
Re: mooring at sea wall

39489.gif
these doo-dads will protect yur bote, I would think a 12-16lb anchor sufficient.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, BN.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />We have a forum specifically for Boat Topics.<br /><br />I will move this there for you.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dont guess you are affected by tides in indiana, boat fenders work real good. Also consider some lenghts of 3/4 PVC or ABS pipe pushed into the bottom of the lake, river and secured at the top of the sea wall. Look around and see what works for others. Wishing you a good boating season. regards fred

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Several fenders along the side of the boat with a board across them on the outside spreads the load nicely.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Buy the fattest fenders you can use with your boat, don't be cheap and buy the skinny $4.00 specials, most boats will require 3 to 4 fenders per side.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

BN42, What kind of water are you going to be mooring in. Is it the river or one of the great lakes? I see you live in Indiana and I don't recall "SEA walls in that state". Not picking on you, just wanting to find out how rough of water you will be in when docking your boat. I agree with the rest. Use a good durable fender. I bought some big cheapys an after the first storm they were collapsed. I have had good luck with Taylor brand.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Look here for anchor size advice:<br /> http://mastercatalog04.westmarine.com/0703.asp <br /><br />Most manufacturers have tables to help you select the size and type of anchor. Be sure you have enough rode (line and chain) and chain for the depth you intend to anchor in. Ideally, seven times the depth of the water plus the distance from your bow cleat or anchor roller to the waterline.<br /><br />If it's "your" seawall, you can buy "bumpers" to attach to it. Otherwise buy quality "fenders" to hang on the side of the boat.