Monster Redfish caught today!

nathan104

Seaman
My dad lives in South Texas. Today he took his boat out for the first time in about two years. He went out Arroyo city and was fishing anchored on the side of the channel. He called me around 11am this morning and told me he had just fought a bull red for 30 minutes. It was 38 inches long. He was debating using his tag to keep it(in TX, you can only keep one Red over 28 inches with a tag that comes on your license) and head back in. I told him he should stay and fish a little more as he said this was the first fish he had caught of the day.

So, 15 minutes later I get another call and he is currently fighting an even bigger Redfish. About 30 minutes later he calls and told me he finally boated the beast and was exhausted after catching the two fish and fighting them for over an hour. He let the first Red swim home and hept the second. It measured out at 44". He took it to the taxidermist and is having the beast mounted. I was dying to see it and he finally emailed me the pictures. This is the biggest Red I have ever seen! I know its not a record for salt water in Texas but Im not sure how close it would be to the top 10 or 20. He was fishing with 10-12" mullet. He is heading back out tomorrow with a buddy to see if he can get back on them. Here is the picture.

dadwithbullredfish.jpg

ob

Admiral
Re: Monster Redfish caught today!

Tell your dad nice fish Nathan.He was definately using the cadillac bait for bull reds.I too live in south Texas and have caught many redfish over the years.My personal best was a 52" caught at the south jetty in Port Aransas.A 44" red is no slouch either.He must have found a real honey hole inshore for bulls this time of year.Most of the 40" plus reds caught locally inshore occur around November and into early winter when they come in the inland bays and estuaries to spawn each year.Lots of 28-36 inch range are caught regularly throughout the spring and summer months inshore but most of the bulls over that range usually stay offshore until fall.Again,tell you dad congrats on his nice catch.Hope he hits some more soon.

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

Question: those mullet live or dead?

mobyjaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Redfish are a blast. Thanks to Texas for saving them. The " Blackened Redfish " craze almost wiped them out. I'm from Florida and they soon followed suit by banning the rape of our inshore fisheries as well. Nice moves! MJ

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

great vatch there, have to add todays story here.

Wife and i were out fishing when she hooked into a big fish, she couldnt real it in and i had to take over and fought it for a while and finally lande a 29 inch red. she was all excited yelling its a keeeper its akeeper, weve got dinner.. well i looked up the regs and saw it was an inch too long so we had to throw it back. I let him free and the boat that was anchoredd next to us and the one that was coming into fish the area and idling nearby to see what was on the bline both stared at me with mouths opened. the one boat proceeded to find an anchorage and the guy anchored next to me yelled over dont you have a tag( in texas we can keep one oversized fish with a tag on our license). my first reply was no it wasnt tagged for the tournament , then it dawned on ,me, oh F#$%#, then i had to explain to the wife what he was talking about. hopre the couch is comfy tonight!

ob

Admiral

Not to add insult to injury ,but in many cases if you mail or bring the used tag to your local Texas Parks and Wildlife office they will issue you another before your license expires.:)

gonefishie

Commander

Wow what a fish! I'd bet the taxidermist bill gonna be huge. What are they charging in your neck of the wood? around here, it ranges from 10-20 bucks per inch depends on the taxidermist and his workmanship. I keeps telling myself one of these day I'll have to go try for some snooks and reds. I think of them as largemouth bass on super steroid.

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha I was scanning the forums and the jiffy rigs thread was right below this one and I read Monster Jellyfish Caught today!

Back on topic...DAMMM

paintitup12

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My uncle once had a 32 pd redfish on 5 times they brought it up to the boat but it swam away the redfish finally got away but later they found the bait floating:)

Last edited: