Moles......how do I get rid of them?

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
We have moles all over our yard and they are tearing up my lawn. What is a good way to get rid of these nasty little critters. I heard it next to impossable. :confused: All the yards around here are infested and nobody seems to know what to do. My dog has dug up and killed 4 that I have personaly seen. My neighbor asked to rent him out for a few days cuz thats the only thing he seen work. :) :) He has mole traps and only got one so far. Any ideas would be helpful.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Moles......how do I get rid of them?

Grub control has worked for me in the past to drive away moles

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

You can very nicely ask Pat Cambell aka pjc to water your lawn :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Cats are great, there are also several killers on the market. I had them last year, and bought this treat for them. They loved it! Briefly.

DaleS

Cadet

You should be able to find, on-line, a recipe that uses castor oil and soap. I guess moles hate the smell so it drives them to the neighbors. Just don't tell your neighbors. (You don't want them to use it,too.)

rwise

Captain

My Aunt uses Habrinaro(sp?) peppers! Just place one in there tunnel/s and they go away. I bet they have signs posted in there little tunnels about hazardous area ahead.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

LOL at the Pat Cambell idea. Maybe I will mix castor oil, soap and habinaro peppers and pour it in their holes. And um maybe I will water my own lawn...........on second thought I may not want to be in my yard after all that either.

NYMINUTE

Captain

I hear they enjoy bubble gum too. Maybe a cheap cure.

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My dad has had luck with used cat litter. They do not like it at all. Makes your yard smell but no moles. Just WATCH YOUR STEP!!

ndemge

Commander

1slN7431.jpg

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Noel I bet you could help me with some explosives :) I bet your getting ready for the 4th allready.....maybe I do need to have a little fireworks display in my back yard.....directed right at them litle $##$%%$^#@%%

ndemge

Commander

I wish I could deal with High Explosives :) Don't have the permits or the experience for that .... yet<br /><br />As far as the use of fireworks for getting rid of moles....... My professional advice is that is a very bad idea and not responsible.<br /><br />But if one WERE to be iresponsible, I would use a single break 1 3/4" shell with a e-match directly to the lift charge with it burried at the entrance to the fresh hole..... like I said, that's what I'd do if I were iressponisble. ;)

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Grub control works, so does pepper down the entrances, skunk scent down the entrances and Castor oil. I used mole-x(which is just castor oil) last fall and again this spring. No moles yet. I did find a grub diging the other day in the garden so will put some more down(been raining like forever up here and just getting nice recently) so will go get some castor oil and use the mole-x bottle to put it down. <br /> As an after thought, if you want to get rid of moles, voles, gophers, mice etc. get a skunk. Had one up under the cabin 3 years ago and didn't take very long to eradicate all of them. If it wasn't for the dog I would of left it there.(Ugly story).

Twidget

Commander

Or you could do like a frieds wife did once.... amonia and bleach down the hole. :eek: Definitely stay upwind of it though.<br /><br />Edit: I should note this is a tongue in cheek answer, I would definitely not recommend this approach.

Homerr

Commander

I use to catch them using a trap called "The Black Hole"<br /><br />
mainesupply_1851_61052
<br /><br />It is the most successful trap I've ever used on gophers and moles.<br /><br />Next to that, I think dynamite might work?<br /><br />H.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a neighbor in Germany (a German - go figure) who suggested I pour gasoline in the hole, toss a match and run like heck. I elected not to try that one - figured it would blow half the neighborhood away. Never did get rid of the darned things.

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried that gasoline trick with a yellow jacket nest once. Dumped a pint of gasoline down the hole and got about 15 feet away. Threw a lit rag at the hole and it went BOOM!. Fire shot up and it was followed by a cloud of very angry unharmed yellow jackets. They swarmed around that hole for three days. You couldn't get anywhere near it. It was between my car and my house so I had to go clear around the yard every morning to go to work. But, the yellow jackets left.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Cut it with some kerosene and dump it down(as long as not around a structure and not under the structure(holes that is) an light it up. It is really neat.(Skunk works better).

Twidget

Commander

It was between my car and my house so I had to go clear around the yard every morning to go to work. But, the yellow jackets left.
Ouch, now that would be my luck.