Mold

Wassachu

Seaman Apprentice
This was a Wet Spring. I have a 1990 C-Dory Cruiser. My battery compartment is located on the Starboard side aft. The compartment is about waist high with a fuel tank below. The battery compartment is full of mold. Also in the compartment is a cable run off to the side and the fuel fill hose is next to the compartment. The back of the compartment is open to below where the fuel tank is. Now, How do I get rid of the mold? I can't use bleach with the wires and fuel hose near by. Any suggestions?

I recently saw a Ship Shape TV show and they advertised a product for removing mold that was biodegradable but I failed to right it down. Senior moment. Have no idea how well it works.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mold

Bleach will not be real hard on the wires and hoses. Just try to keep it off them as much as possible.

There are other products that kill mold as well. Check out TSP, Ammonia, spray 9, super clean, simple green. You should find most of them will do the job, although bleach is the best....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Even a quality bathroom cleaner will probably work w/o consequence. Whatever you try just follow it up with a good clear water flushing.

I see you are in Maine..... if the boat is going to be stored outside....... deal with it when the weather warms in the spring. It would help to dry things out and I have had the best luck killing mold using chemicals and good old sunlight.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

It will cost a couple hundred minimum to buy, but you can rent an ozone generator for the day for less than 30 deer. You only need a small one. It will destroy every bit of mold without any liquid or cleaners of any type. All the odor and fumes will also be destroyed. Use it in the cabin when you're done. Hope this helps.
PS: Bless you!!!:D

Safe and happy boating always!!!