Mold carpet damage?

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice
How do you clean mold and mildew out of the carpet in a boat? I put the cover on my boat about 2 weeks ago for the off season and today I pulled the cover off to find the carpet wet and green mold and mildew was spotted on the carpet. How do I clean it and what can I do in the future to keep this from happening? I don't have anything to store it in right now, but I'm working on getting a car port.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mold carpet damage?

the carpet and the rest of the boat needs to be totally dry before you put it to bed......if shes damp.....your gonna get mold......(im speaking of dryer climates)....

if shes totally dry....and it still molds.....ther may be issues under the deck.....

as far as a wet climate.....(seattle...vancouver).....some guys leave a light bulb on in the boat...

as far as cleaning it.....:eek:......id soak it and rub and scrub till it was gone

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice

She was totally dry when I put her up, but I'm in East Texas and the humidity is terrible. Plus the water somehow came through the cover without me knowing.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

soapy water, with some bleach, scrub heck out of it rinse well, bow up plug out until it dries, then a loose cover so it can get circulation. some even put fans in them.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

A couple of those Damp-Rid buckets from Walmart will help a bunch too.

Most boat covers are water resistant not waterproof.
I store mine for winter with the boat cover on then a poly tarp over that.