"Molasses" leaking from pinhole in bottom

wakataka

Seaman Apprentice
Here's a puzzle for you. <br /><br />I recently bought a little Bayliner Jazz jet boat. It has a foam filled hull like a Boston Whaler, with foam formed in place between an inner and outer fiberglass hull. The gelcoat was worn off the bottom of the keel near the bow in a patch about 2" by 6". It had not been in the water for over a year when I bought it and had never been in saltwater. The worn area was dry and the wear had not gotten into the glass, just barely past the gelcoat. <br /><br />I had the boat out to the lake about four times for a total of about 8 hours before I got around to patching the gelcoat. When I went to patch it, I noticed this brown, sticky, slightly sweet smelling, viscous liquid weeping from the area where the gellcoat was worn off. Not enough to drip, just enough to form a dime size glob on the bottom. I wiped it down good, cleaned it with brake cleaner, and covered the worn spot with MarineTex. <br /><br />Problem is, this molasses like stuff continues to weep out through the MarineTex. Anybody know what this might be? If the foam between the hulls gets wet, does it degrade into something like this? I hate to cut into the bottom to investigate if it is really not hurting anything. I'm secretly hoping it will stop over the winter while the boat is out of the water. The boat does not seem overly heavy like it would if a lot of the foam was water soaked. Any adivce will be appreciated.

D

DJ

Re: "Molasses" leaking from pinhole in bottom

Rowhome,<br /><br />Foam does not drip like that unless something is breaking it down. Water won't do it, but fuel might.<br /><br />I think you are experiencing the undried agents of the gel coat bleeding through.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rotted wood will do that. :(

wakataka

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your good ideas. I'm thinking wood may be the source of the goo. With the unusual construction of this boat, I'm not sure how to inspect or repair it. The boat has a foam filled hull that is probably 6 to 8 inches thick with fiberglass on both sides, so you wouldn't really notice any softness on the top side even if the bottom was rotten. I suppose there could be some wood stringers in the bottom. The area that is leaking is along the radius of a chine at the edge of the flat keel strip. Would be a likely place for a wood stringer to be placed. Looks to me like the only way to get at this area would be to cut into the bottom of the boat. Not a pretty thought. I'm thinking of just letting her sit through the winter in the garage with a lightbulb beneath the weeping area to help dry it out. Think there's any hope for that method?<br /><br />Again, thanks to all for the advise.<br /><br />RowHome

crab bait

Captain

i think your on the right track..<br />but i'd enlarge the hole .. say to 3/8 or so .. <br /><br />can always patch in springtime with marine tex epoxy putty

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps you could perforate the area with many small holes and leave it till Spring. Then soak the area with very thin epoxy until it will absorb no more. Perhaps.

wakataka

Seaman Apprentice

I like the idea of drilling some drain / vent holes. I'm going to try that. I'll let you all know next spring how it worked out.<br />Thanks to all. This is a truly great forum.