Modifications to manual 85hp tilt?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I'm sure that all you owners of the 85hp Force know it is heavy and not easily tilted up when you want to.

Besides the heft and weight of this motor, it is set up to be pulled all the way up or all the way down. There is no half way point in the manual tilt. At least my 40hp Evinrude has an adjustable tilt that lets you lock the motor and any position between full up and full down.

The problem I have is that I ofte beach the boat, and when we leave, its nice to push it out to 2 or 3 feet of water, then leave under power. But 2 or 3 feet of water is not enough depth to let the motor all the way down. So I can't lower the motor half way and start it to manuver to deeper water. I end up using the boat hook fully extended to push the boat into deeper water. This is a real problem if there is any wind against me at all. And with the hard top I'm currently working on, it will be even harder in a mild breeze.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has modified the linkage on the manual tilt to have multiple locked positions so the prop and water pump can be in the water, but not fully down?

Any ideas or experience is greatly appreciated.

BTW, installing a power tilt is not going to happen due to the $300 - $400 price I find on ebay for used units that will fail soon due to age. I would rather buy a late model used outboard with power tilt and trim. But for now, I would like to have the option of locking the motor in the not-quite-full-down position.

Thanks,

Mark