Model number mismatch??

Kender

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, it's been a while since I have been on here so be patient as I reacquaint myself with all things boating. I just picked up a used boat with a 1999 115hp Johnson on it. When I parked it at the storage lot I took a pic of the model and serial number from the transom bracket. Once I got home and looked up the serial number so I could make sure I get the right maintenance book I found a problem. The model number of 140tl78c which comes up as a 1978 140hp. I have to wait until tomorrow to go back to the storage lot and check for a model number under the cowling. My question, to settle my nerves for the night, is if the tilt-n-trim/transom bracket form a 78 motor could have been used on a 99 motor. I am hoping it can as a bracket like that wouldn't likely change much over the years but I would like confirmation since I have been out of the boating game for a while and have forgotten a lot. Thanks for the help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Model number mismatch??

Is the motor white ??-----Post a bunch of pictures and it will be easy to tell what you have.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Those pictures clearly indicate that the motor is NOT a 1999 motor.-----The graphics on the cowling make it a late 70's motor.---------------Not uncommon for motors to be misidentified.-----Talk to the seller !!!!!

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yep doesnt look like a 1999 to me.
Looks like a nice boat and those motors are still pretty good so dont think its quite the same as buying a late 1970s car, but still not a good thing to happen.
you might want to get the paperwork too from the overhaul work mentioned as should of stated to them on that that its not 1999

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

model identification 2.jpgThe transom bracket is one of two places for the model serial number. Yours indicates a 140 hp. Not unusual for the cowling to get changed over the years, esp, if the boat is rated for a 115 and the owner wanted to disguise that fact for some reasons. The other serial number is on a round casting disc atop one of the heads of the powerhead. It's probably painted over. The same serial/model should be stamped there. See what you find.

Kender

Seaman Apprentice

I got a look under the cowl at the motor and the "freeze plug" id plate matches the one on the transom so it is a 1978 140hp. So while it is a bit older than originally thought it is more power so kind of a trade off I can live with. Even with it being a 78 it was still a heck of a deal. While the cowling was off I got some pics of the motor and it is clean, all the plug wires are new, almost all the wires are new, the nuts on the starter solenoid/relay are still shiny. This thing has had less than a handful of hours on it since the rebuild. Now I just need to find out if that year/model ever had an option for VRO and if there is a way to add it with the same reliability as the new VRO units. Pre-mixing a 20 gallon tank is not something I look forward to.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I would still premix, too many stories on here and elsewhere of VROs failing, i dont think VRO was invented until mid 80s.

Id replace the impeller and LU oil and check the thermostat before thinking of any other less important upgrades.

That boat will really go for it with a 140hp

phillnjack2

Ensign
get intouch with the seller and demand your money back. its misrepresentation of goods and you would win in court every day.
the engine is going to be a money pit, its nothing like a 1999 115hp that old 140 was rated at the crankshaft and would only be good for about 110 at the prop if your lucky.
its a thirsty old crossflow not a 21 year newer loop charged engine, there are so many parts that are unavailable its crazy.
its been bodged up by not even having the correct lid over the engine for a start .so what else has been played around with ?
unless you got this very very cheap and it starts and runs absolutely perfect, get you money back before the tears start.
a 99 is worth atleast a thousand dollars more than a 77 v4 engine.

phill