Model el25e Johnson trolling motor

iboatscat

Recruit
Trying to get some help on repairing a model el25e Johnson trolling motor bought 1982 but stored for over 10 years nt used. I want to put it on a 19 foot IO lake boat. Am interested in a repair manual including a wiring diagram. I bought a $40 momentary on/off switch but before replacing it I decided to double check the old one. When we hooked the motor up on a 12 new volt battery it ran for about 2 seconds and cut off. In the off position, I get 12 volts coming out of the switch but no motor activity. In the low, normal and high positions with switch on, I get no voltage coming out of the switch. As far as I know, the circuit breaker is reset and okay but I have never felt a click like most circuit breakers when you push on it. Yet one or two times I got it running for several seconds and I don't know what the difference was. I have tried moving the wires to see if any are broken inside with out success. The readings on the on/off switch are confusing (am a layman when it comes to electricity). Before cutting the old switch<br />out I am inclined to strip the wires on the in going side and out going side temporary hook up the new switch(splicing around the old one) and see what happens when I turn the new one on and keep the old one off. Any problem with my thinking? Since it ran several seconds a few times I would think the circuit breaker is okay and the rotary switch assembly is okay. Note that<br />I am keeping the motor in a container of water while trying to run it.<br />Any help will be appreciated and since I spent the money for the switch and have it all apart, I would like to finish the job myself. Since it is old (but in excellent condition), I hate wasting the time and money of the local dealer.<br />Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Model el25e Johnson trolling motor

Howdy, iboatscat.<br /><br />Love the screen name!<br /><br />Your post of this same question in the Electronics and Trolling Motors Forum is in the right place. If you are not getting responses you might bump it by replying to it yourself.<br /><br />Good luck. :)