Model E Alumacraft Specs.

Model E

Recruit
Hello,
I just bought a 12' Model E alumacraft. I'm trying to find weight and max. HP for this boat. I'm only using a 5HP motor now so I'm not to concerned about that but weight would be good to know. Plus if I ever upgrade my motor it would be good to know how big I can go! The boat is in excellent condition just needs a new transom material. I was wondering if anyone has ever used marine board for transom rebuilds? I'm also considering sanding and painting it to prevent any further oxidization as it does have some oxidization now. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Model E Alumacraft Specs.

Model E, welcome to iboats.

I don't know for sure the specs on your boat and I take it you don't have the boat tag near the transom of your boat. But to know all, I've been telling others here to get the stamped ID on the top of the transom center brace. Call or e-mail Sue Prax at Alumacraft and give your information. Phone 507-931-1050 or on the Alumacraft web site, Contact Information page, you can e-mail. They have all the info for your boat, even the build number for its year. I haven't done this myself for my boat, but I will do it sometime.

I like the 5 hp motor, should be ideal. I will run a 4 hp on my 14' FD model boat and it's the best for fishing.

As for restoring, try to keep the boat as original as possible. Don't sand or paint the aluminum. The oxidation is normal and is to be expected with age. It actually protects the aluminum. These boats are more desirable and of more value if the aluminum is left alone and not worked on. When it gets dirty just wash it with water and a rag, that's all I do and I've had my boat 39 years. Only if it really needs it replace the transom wood with the same and how it was done. That is a project itself to do because the rear outside plywood is also glued to the transom for strength and I can't tell you what wood it is for sure. These AlumaCrafts are very well built boats and normal use and aging just adds to its character. Maybe someone else can be of more help?

mnaluma

Recruit

Hello Model E (and others),
I just finished with a exterior stern transon repair and I will let you know what I found and did. My 75-77 (some question) 15' outside wood had been decayed to the point of pulling it off, found no glue, was held on with SS screws into transom which may be oak, but painted red. Transom is still in good shape.... after removing wood and cleaning , I was concered about the type of wood and explored marine plywood 1/2" in Mpls area, was very pricy and others on this forum and another said treated (non arsenic) exterior plywood would hold up for many years. I went with that. Now how to minimize putting any more holes?? I put a piece of the new clingy wrap onto the metal where the board used to be, took a sharpie and drew (badly) the outline of the old board and the holes. Take the template and put it on the wood and trace/mark the holes....cut the board with jigsaw and drilled holes... I decided I didn't want to rescrew the board back on and got SS machine bolts with lock nuts to go through the transom and bolt on with small washer to inside. It's not spec, but it will hold better and reinforce old transom wood. Three coats of exterior Behr plus(primer included) green (like cabin trim) followed with a thin sheet of aluminum (whatever the stuff that has the little x's on it like a tool box) where the motor mounts will rest completed the job cost effectivly and will last till I'm gone (I'm 53)...Good luck...Doug

fish_n_hunter

Recruit

I also have a Model E and looked at the tag this morning. It is also a 12' and is rated for a max of 12 hp motor & 3 people. I will have to look again to see the weight. I think it said 12 hp and 3 people at 150 pounds each max.

I couldn't find the hull ID number but will look again after seeing in this forum that it could be on top of the center transum mount. Hope this helps.

EDIT: The hp and persons above is correct. It did also add "OR a properly located max weight of " " lbs. for persons, motor & gear."

The weight amount was left blank.

The Hull ID Nnumber was on the transum center support under the camo paint. I would never have found it not knowing where to scratch it off.

Don't forget to set the hook,
Greg

tnc6471

Recruit

I have 14' i use 15hp and i have no problems

magnumforc

Recruit

The Model E had a weight of 115 lbs and was rated by OBC for a 12 Horsepower outboard engine.

That said, I had four engines on a Model E, a 3 HP Johnson, a 10 Hp Johnson (which made it literally fly) a 10 HP Scott Atwater which was just okay and a 20 HP Mercury Mark 25. (I know...bad choice, but with at least two in the boat it was amazingly fast..a prop rider and unstable at any speed!) Scared the heck out of me but you know..kids sometimes do wild stuff. Then I graduated into racing utility boats and hydros...which in some ways seemed tame...or at least marginally more controllable!

Wyldcard

Cadet

Bah i have been slacking on keeping up here of late.I agree 100% with River keep her original,i get alot of looks from the locals,they say how old is that boat,i just smile and say shes a '67.

Mark