Mobster Tabs

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a question on Mobster Tabs. I had talk to a few people on here a while back about them and wondering if they were fading out (not being produced). I see a few places that sell them are down to the angled models and they are on sale (like Cabelas for example). Just wondering if anyone knew. I was thinking about some day buying the tradional ones to try but if they are not being produced any longer I had better start looking. I see a lot of good things on here about them.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: Mobster Tabs

We manufacture Smart Tabs and Mobster Tabs. Both series are available and we have no intentions of discontinuing Mobster Tabs or any Smart Tabs Models. The volume is lower and sold in specialty stores because they have been designed for performance bass boats. <br /><br />Although Performance Bass boat owners complain about high bow rise at slow speeds and hole shots, as well as chine walking at higher speeds, they resist using Trim Tabs because of the impression that they slow the boat at Top SPeed. This is generaly accurate with helm controled tabs because they need to be deployed some to eliminate the chine walking and porpoising.<br /><br />It is not true with Mobster Tabs and infact because they cause no resistance or drag and eleiminate the chine walking, the trim can be set out a bit more and the boat will gain a few MPH. Even the 75 to 80 MPH boats.<br /><br />Typical results will be:<br /><br />50% lower bow rise<br />30% to 50% faster Hole shot ( Time to Plain)<br />10% to 15% faster acceleration to 30MPH<br />No Chine Walking<br />2MPH to 4MPH more top speed.<br /><br />IN many cases the use of Mobster Tabs and a prop change (one step UP in pitch) will allow even more top speed. When the boat runs "cleaner" it will run faster.<br /><br />The common misconception about performance boats is that "if they needs trim tabs then there is something wrong with the hull". Actually they are correct, every hull is defective in design at some point. When the load, speed, and water conditions change the hull does not compensate because it is fixed (rigid). Trim Tabs allow the design to change in concert with the conditions. <br /><br />As the editor of Boating Life said -" You make good boats better".

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not taken the dive because I just have not invested that type of money yet....but as long as the Mobster tabs are still available I will plan on getting some in the near future. Thanks for your reply!!

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

By the way, one of the side benefits to making the hull more efficient and reducing the resistance is better fuel economy.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THats what I am looking for John.....a little more top end and stop that dang chine walk. It's been worked on for a long time and the hull just isn't designed to go as fast as I want it to lol. But was figuring the tabs would help out. I have been through it ALL as far as weight distribution and jackplates....props....everything. I love th boat so i thought this might be able to push the limits a little more. We will see once I get some cash I will buy some and let you know. I am sure I will have questions. Thanks again!

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was at a Bass Pro Shop in Harrisburg today and saw the smart tabs there. What is the difference between these and the mobster tabs (physically)? The shocks were a lot harder to compress than I had thought they would be and the instructions were pretty detailed in the box. Have you ever had a problem with those plastic fittings breaking John?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

The Mobster Tabs come in two different plate designs. One for angled transoms where the traditional style (rectangle) would look like duck feet, and a more traditional style except that the plate is tappered. Both design plates are stiffer than the Smart Tabs, and the actuators are beefier as well. The load rating is the same, but the shaft and tube diameter is larger.<br /><br />The end fittings have been holding up very well, with some minor exceptions in cold weather climates. Even then it is only when putting them on or taking them off, not in use.<br /><br />In the event that they break we replace the end fittings at no charge, and they simply screw on and off.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The reason I asked is because in posts I have seen if your boat is 60+ mph then you should use the Mobster Tabs. I see the smart tabs being a cheaper option so that why I ask. My rig runs right around 60 now....just a hair under.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

With the Mobster Tabs correctly adjsuted you should go over the 60 MPH mark.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nauitJohn, do you have a link to the smart tabs? I'm finally putting my skeeter in the water tomorrow. It's a '84 15' f-80, '84 115merc, I got a feeling it's going to be a hairy ride. Sorry for stealing this post guys.

LubeDude

Admiral

Is that boat rated for a 115? I had a 15' Ranger with an 85 on it and it would tickle 50 MPH. I allways felt thast it wouldnt be too safe any faster but it didnt have as new of a hull as yours. Im thinking that your boat may be in the 55+ range. The smart tabs would be a real help and should really make it stable. Slow down if you see a wake coming. :eek:

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since you're on the subject....I've got a question for nautiJohn. <br />The design of my cockpit is such that when loaded with 4-5 adults, the majority of the weight is on the passenger side and can't be distributed to the driver side due to the seating design. Here is a picture of the cockpit:<br /><br />
95258d4c.jpg
<br /><br />Thus, when there are 4-5 adults in her, the weight is heavy to port side. What type of tabs are available for this? I would also like the benefit of quicker hole shot and eliminate chine walking, wondering at slow speeds. <br /><br /> Can you give me a few options?

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bassin'fever, its rated for 85hp. The previous owner had a 90hp evinrude on it, 52mph was about top. He said it got scary with a good chop, running hard. I'm putting it in the water in the morning for the 1st time, it ought to be interesting. My mechanic told me that the motor was very strong and 60mph shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure if I want to run that much in that short of a boat, LOL. He suggested a jackplate, the only thing to help keep it stable. I'll post tomorrow afternoon the results.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Watered down;<br /><br />You have a number of choices. Helm controlled tabs that you adjust as you go. There any number of companies to choose from such as Bennett, Lenco, Trim Master etc. <br /><br />With our product I would suggest ST1290-80 and pay particular attention to the instructions covering lists. You would simply adjsut the port side with a bit more lift and the Stardoard with less lift. From then on it is automatic.