Mixing Oils oops or not?

Andrec4016

Seaman
I have a 83 140 v4 rude and its been running fine per say when cold it starts with no problems and idles good but when hot it has the idle syndrome it stalls alot but run great at WOT, anyway this past weekend I was running low on gas so I stop at a marine put in 5 gals and I ran out of my regular oil, I mix a 50:1 with regular TCW-3 black oil.. the guy at the marina only had this pink stuff that he said it was made for Evinrudes and Johnsons well had no choice since my marina was 5 miles away.. So going back to my marina doing about 30MPH suddenly my engine quit no warning nothing the temp was higher than normal, so I let it sit for a few minutes engine almost didn't want to start it acted like a low battery and engine didn't sound very good slow revs and almost no WOT also knocking sounds, so I guess what I'm asking is did the mixing of oils cause this and is the only answer is to empty gas and start fresh and more than likely a carb rebuild? and what is this pink junk they sale anyway I've seen it in stores but to me oil should be black.. any help ?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mixing Oils oops or not?

Pink?? I have never heard of pink oil. Did this oil actually say Evinrude or Johnson on it, or did you see where it said anything about NMMA or TC-W3? Are you sure it wasn't a fuel treatment instead of oil?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Black, and pink! Could they have been blue, and red? Stalls alot! could that be an early symtom? Could a 22 year old engine possibly nead a close look. I don't think the oil mix was your (is) the problem.

Andrec4016

Seaman

Actually I had the same question when I saw it.. but it was TCW3 rated for fuel mix..

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

I would do a compression test to see anything serious happened.<br />javsam

Andrec4016

Seaman

R.Johnson best 22 year old engine I've run.. Was going to blow out the carbs to take care of idle problems but it runs great

Xcusme

Commander

Different colors=different formulations of synthetic and regular. Since it's all rated at TCW-3, It's unlikey an oil issue, unless you only added 2 oz. to 5 gals gas. :D

Andrec4016

Seaman

Actually I added the hole can 6 oz plus 2 from the other that I had Left over..

Xcusme

Commander

So that was a total of 8oz oil to 5 gals. gas?? (I hope you have a typo in your last post)

Walker

Captain

50:1 = 2.5 ounces of oil per gallon of gas.<br />See Sam Sloggy's reply

CATransplant

Admiral

That's not enough oil for 5 gallons, I'm afraid. Plus, it may not have mixed thoroughly with the fuel. Time to check compression and maybe even pull the heads to see if you've messed up the cylinders.<br /><br />Sad business.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I've seen TCW3 oil ranging from greenish-blue to blue to purple to redish-purple. Sometimes the dark blue stuff may look black. From memory, Johnson/Ev. does sell reddish oil in small bottles. <br /><br />2 stroke oil for chainsaws and other air cooled engines often looks dark brown or black.<br /><br />That aside, if both of the oils were rated TCW3, mixing them would be no problem. I have done it many times without problems. My understanding is that part of the TCW3 rating is that they mix with other TCW3 oils without problems.<br /><br />You said that you "added the hole can 6 oz plus 2 from the other that I had Left over.." As someone said, that would be 8 oz to 5 gal or 80:1. That's too lean of a mixture.<br /><br />I'm thinking the "6 oz" might be a typo?? From my experience, Johnson/Ev oil comes in either 16 oz (1 pt.) or 32 oz (1 qt) in it's small bottles (it also comes in large containers - gallons and larger). If the "new" bottle was really 16 oz, not 6 oz as you said, you would have put in plenty of oil for 5 gallons. The only thing, as someone pointed out, is maybe it didn't mix?<br /><br />One other thing that comes to my mind is maybe there was water in the gas.<br /><br />I know this isn't much help - good luck solving your problem.

Pony

Rear Admiral

If it wasnt a typo....then this is a good case for not mixing at 100:1 :(

Andrec4016

Seaman

I think all of you got me thinking of what I did.. why I did it I have no Idea..went down this morning to check things out and I added 12oz of my regular oil took it out for a check and after a few minutes of running in low speed my engine felt like it got loose from getting grounded engine lost its knocking and WOT was even better got it to 5k+ with no hesitasion, thanks for point out the oversite on my part, also checked compression and 115+- on all cylinders after my ride..

Andrec4016

Seaman

one more thing changed ratio to 32:1 its easier to to keep track of 4oz per gal and better for old engine

Walker

Captain

You don't need that much oil. 50:1 is plenty.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Andre - this is just my curiousity. So you're saying that the container of oil you bought at the marina was really 6 oz? I didn't know that they sold 6 oz containers.

Andrec4016

Seaman

small bottle 6 oz I thought I had plenty it wasn't like I was empty still had quarter of tank left but I didn't want to take a chance of running out on the way.. you learn and learn