Missing data plate

dness

Cadet
I have what I believe to be a 1989 200hp Johnson and I have searched all over the mounting brackets with the engine in every position..trim.. tilt...turned etc and find no sign of any plate or holes from where it might have been. On top of the starboard side are two lines stamped into the engine bracket. First line reads"187400" and the second line reads "11JN1". Are these just part numbers for the bracket? This motor is mounted to an Armstrong outdrive transom bracket and perhaps this required a different motor mount sytem and hence no more data tag?? Anyone have a specific location to look for the info tag or any other way to positively identify the year and model?? I know it should be simple but......help!

fireman57

Captain
Re: Missing data plate

Are there any numbers on a welch plug on the engine? It will be a silver looking thing about the size of a quarter. Usually the plate is on the mounting bracket of the engine.

dness

Cadet

There is a plug at the top of the exhaust housing and it has the following number- G2280004 stamped in it. That doesn't sound like the bunch of letters in the factory data plate unless there is some other "code" to decipher it. Any other suggestions??

fireman57

Captain

Doesn't ring any bells with me but someone will be along that can shed some light on it. Can you track the engine through previous owners to find out what year it might be?