Missing an important safety device...

eeboater

Commander
While shopping around and just generally looking at boats for sale, I am noticing that none of them have VHF radios! I find this troubling and puzzling at the same time. Maybe I can blame it on the fact that I have a Coast Guard background, but when I FINALLY buy my boat someday. The VHF will come in line right behind the PFD's and flares. <br /><br />It isn't even that people are taking them out of their vessels when they sell them because there is no mounting hardware/antenna on the boat to provide proof that there was a radio.<br /><br />I know there is the argument that you can use a Cell in case of an emergency. But you know what, that isn't good enough for me. Primarily because if you lose your cell, or if your battery dies -- the radio will be there for you.<br /><br />Sean

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Missing an important safety device...

Most of these boats are used on Inland waterways, so people don't usually stress about them. I have a handheld for emergencies as do most of my boating friends.

ZmOz

Captain

Only need I see for a VHF is the ocean, and my boat, along with any friends boats, never goes anywhere near the ocean...if my boat had a VHF, it would have been on ebay a long time ago.

D

DJ

eeboater,<br /><br />Folks around hrere, inland lakes, don't even know what VHF is, neither does the Sheriff water patrol.

QC

Supreme Mariner

VHF is well monitored on Mead because of the houseboats. I directed the SeaTow to a guy who ran out of gas once, but had to get real close to a marina to get through to them with the handheld. Makes me think about a real antenna etc.

tommays

Admiral

i live on long island so i find the whole VHF thing is a kind of strange<br /><br />the riskest boatng i have ever done is on and 11 ft moth raceing dingy wet cold really windy ALONE ect nobody would look at you twice about not haveing a handheld on board<br /><br />and the same goes for windsurfing <br /><br />i have also owned 14' 18' and the grand boat of all a J-24 now even on that raceing boat a radio was pretty rare even crossing long island sound to go to races in Connecticut <br /><br /> :eek: i think now older and wiser<br /><br />then at the 26 ft and above level its pretty rare NOT to have one :confused: <br /><br />now on power boats even on the bay i dont like boating with out one and when my last VHF died the first thing i bought this season was a new 25 watt ICOM with a new 8' antenna<br /><br /> maybe its because on the sailboats i had a lot of ways to go home motor or sail<br /> <br /><br /> and the sailboats i have owned are a LOT harder to sink then my 20 ft I/O boat<br /><br />tommays

Kiwi Phil

Commander

We carry 2 radios.<br />Meg 27 and VHF. But we are in the sea (big Bay anyway)and we do log on/off to the V Marine Rescue everytime we go out.<br />There are many idiots who rely on their Mobile Phone instead of a radio. Been some horror stories with them.<br />Can't see the logic if you are on an inway water canal or lake though.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

The only time Marine radios are used around here are for coyote hunting so game and parks can't find the pack of drunk idiots runnin around. Farmers use them for their business band, on private freqs, law enforcement uses them but that is all. We in emergency services are upgrading (or downgrading) to UHV.

Triton II

Commander

I have a fixed 27Mhz with a 1.8m antennae and a handheld VHF (mainly used for rescue boat duties at our sailing club). Our Volunteer Coastguard has a permanent listening watch on Chl 88 27Mhz, so I log on and off when I go offshore through the heads of Botany Bay. In the past two years I've towed in a couple of stranded boats after they called for help so a marine radio is essential in our area (big Bay, even bigger ocean!)

KaGee

Admiral

On the Great Lakes, a VHF is (rather, should be) standard equiptment.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by Triton II:<br />Our Volunteer Coastguard has a permanent listening watch on Chl 88 27Mhz
Same here. The auxiliary is always monitoring CH. 16. IMO, the VHF is as important as the PFD or fire extinguisher. What happens when someone gets knocked unconcious or is having health issues on one of the smaller inland lakes and noone is close enough to waive down?<br /><br />I don't know. The 150 bucks is a safety blanket I'm willing to spend.<br /><br />Sean

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Our boating is done on inland lakes, the shore line is never out of sight. We always carry cell phones and have coverage over the entire lake. So here I see no need for the VHF. If we were to venture out to any big water lakes, or to a remote lake with out cell coverage I would indeed equip the boat with a radio. But for now the extra $150.00 will get me a few gallons of gas.

dolluper

Captain

When you do get that boat don't forget about the seatbelts too!!!! :D :D

KaGee

Admiral

Long story short... about 6 miles out on Lake Erie with 2 other dudes... dude A.... a rookie fisherman, dude B fishing the opposite side of the boat, both casting Erie-Dearies for walleye. Dude A whips a cast, not looking... catches dude B right in the lip... seriously! Hook was in there good! Couldn't get it out. He was bleeding like a stuck pig. Blood everywhere!<br /><br />I Radio'd CG, and they had a EMS waiting for him at the dock when we got back. Poor dude B... he ended up in the emergency room. I made dude A go with him. Needless to say they both got a lot of ribbing that night.<br /><br />Didn't have cell phones back then. Radio was quite handy. Not to mention another day when I broke down and needed a tow. Then there was a day when a storm warning went out over the radio. I took heed, pulled lines and headed in even though the weather was great where we were at. Storm hit just as we were entering the inlet. <br /><br />Won't go on the water without a working radio.