Misfiring 110hp Evinrude (1991) ??

simon_canada

Cadet
I believe my engine is misfiring..

The engine starts .. though it takes a few more cranks than usual..

nothing noticeable when you are just reversing the boat out.. or starting off.. but when you put any load on it, it boggs.. and clearly sounds like it is misfiring.. but I can't be 100% certain..

I'll then stop.. put it in neutral.. rev up the engine for about 5 seconds... let it off.. and then it runs fine for the duration.. and I generally won't have the problem until the next weekend when I return to the lake (other re-starts that day, or even the next, do not have any issues).

the only thing I didn't do this year, was change spark plugs (they were changed last year)..

Any thoughts?

should I just throw in a fresh set of plugs?

All the wires/connections are clean... I doubt a cylinder is flooding that fast.. but I don't understand what problem would go away with a simple 5-second high revving of the engine...

Help!/Thoughts?

Cheers!

redtech

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Misfiring 110hp Evinrude (1991) ??

my bet woulrd not be on plugs and often these are changed way to soon take a look at your sync and link

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's the coordination of spark and carbs. in your manual. also you could have a carb the is clogging, and the revving clears it enough to go.

simon_canada

Cadet

it's the coordination of spark and carbs. in your manual. also you could have a carb the is clogging, and the revving clears it enough to go.

Thanks for the clarification!

I have debated whether or not I should clean the carb..

it has been two years.. but it sat for the last 7 months (fall/winter) after having fogging oil sprayed in prior to storage.. so I doubt there would be much in there.. but you never know!

Appreciate the suggestion!!

Anyone else care to throw their 2 cents in!

Cheers!