Minor engine problem - help needed

aldena

Cadet
I have a 1994 Four Winns 190 Horizon, 5.8 litre w/EFI. A while back it developed a flat spot just above idle. I can push the throttle past that, and it runs great. If I'm in neutral, and throttle up slightly, the motor stumbles and then starts occillating between approx 500 and 2000 rpm, like almost stalling, and then catching itself. I can't remember exactly, but it may have started after I replaced the fuel filter, and cleaned the backfire arrester. I remember the old filter was quite small compared to the new one, which was an OMC filter I got from the dealer.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Minor engine problem - help needed

Ayuh,... It could be the wrong filter, or there's Crud somewhere's else...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

but it may have started after I replaced the fuel filter, and cleaned the backfire arrester. I remember the old filter was quite small compared to the new one, which was an OMC filter I got from the dealer.

Why don't you try getting the right fuel filter and trying it.

aldena

Cadet

Thanks! This filter was supplied by my OMC dealer a few year back, so I assumed it was the right one. Trying a new filter is such an easy test, I don't know why I didn't do it already. DOH!

I gathered multiple part numbers on the internet for a replacement filter. Different sites listed Evenrude/Johnson and Sierra brands, as it appears that I probably can't get an OMC branded part. I'll be hitting a different shop, as inventory at my local shop has severly declined. Sign of the times, I guess.

Is it necessary to bleed the fuel rail after the install?

zbnutcase

Commander

No need to bleed, I fill new filter with fresh gas before installing