Minn Kota V Motorguide

Hi,<br /><br />I'm new to this site and look forward to tossing my 2 cents worth in every now and again. <br /><br />But first a question :) <br /><br />I am in the market for a electric trolling motor my main fishing is the lakes and mostly sheltered estuaries. I run a 12' tinnie so is quite light. <br /><br />Target specie Australian Bass, Golden Perch, Cod, Flathead, Bream, Mangrove Jack etc etc.<br /><br />I am after a Bow mount 55lb thrust auto pilot with a maximiser to run from a 12 volt system. Options outside of this if better please say thanks. The motor will be used in both salt and fresh.<br /><br />As we in Downunder have really only had the Minn Kota to select from I now find just recently Motorguides are starting to hit the market. <br /><br />So i am hoping to get a better insight into which is better and why.<br /><br />Hopefully you can help and thanks in advance :)

crab bait

Captain
Re: Minn Kota V Motorguide

WELCOME to the 'show' AUSSIE...<br /><br />in short / 'in-a-nut-shell.. stay with MINNKOTA...they are sweet...<br /><br />motor guide ,on the other hand are appsolultly horrible.. a rattlin' piece-o-crap..the one weed will stall it.. it's the most ineffishent fishin' gizmo ever invented.. and offend wonder how they are still in busness.. or a 'class action law suit levyed again them an a judge forces them to cease production ...<br /><br />but that just my opinion..

So using my powers of deduction and your ability to call a spade a spade and not beat around the bush. <br /><br />Minnkota is a work of art and the motorguide is a dogbone. <br /><br />Minnkota 1<br />Motorguide -1 <br /><br />Thanks for the welcome and the reply :) <br /><br />Not sure if i should ask why you called crab bait :)

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I prefer minnkota also. There shafts are composit so they dont bend or rust. They can take abuse and keep going. I have a 36# auto pilot on a 14' jon boat and a 55# on my 15.5' bass boat. The maximiser is great. I can fish all day (8+ hrs) with my minnkotas. I wouldnt have anything else. I know some guys who have the "other" and they seem to have problems with theres all the time, like bent shafts and discharging batteries fast.<br /><br />just my $0.02 :D

495v

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I have alway's owned minnkota's and they've alway's performed well, and if I ever buy a new motor it will be minnkota, BUT, my boat which I bought used has a motorguide gator mount 50# thrust and it performs just fine. Have not had any problems with it. I run a 24v system and can run this thing for day's before I'm out of juice. In my opinion, the minnkota's have better technology built into there motors such as auto pilot, and pinpoint. Just my .02!

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Greetings from New Mexico!! I have a motorguide 34# transom mount and I have been very pleased with it so far. It has been trustworthy and works like a champ. The great thing was that I found it at Wal-mart for $70.00!<br />I can troll around lakes all day with it and it does the job. MB :D

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a Minnkota Transome also. I chose it because of the composite shaft. While the shaft does seem to vibrate a little, which I would expect the metal one motorguide uses would not, I figured, Sometime, I would forget to put it up while running the gas motor or hit a stump and then bend the shaft. Now I have a 10 year old who will be using the motor and I am extra glad I have the composite shaft. Never had a day of problem with mine.

okiecarp

Cadet

I hope you guys with the small boats check this site again, because I really need you help. I am getting an inflateable 8 1/2' boat. I weigh 220#. The boat and stuff will weigh about 125#. I want to be able to go a minimum of 7 or 8 MPH. How much thrust do I need?

Fishbusters

Ensign

Minn-Kota hands down. I destroyed 3 motor guides in the space of 3 months and finally got another Minn-Kota. The other Minnie lasted well over 10 years and even had a tree dropped on it. BTW Minnie#2 is 4 years old now and been through heck and back and still running strong.

Ok it looks like the Minn Kota is the winner. Now for bit more info.<br /><br />Do you have a maximiser ?........ What size battery do you use ...... as i was looking at least a full weekend trolling about 20 + hours. That would not be full power just about 1 - 3 as i would be tossing spinnerbait, fly, grubs etc. <br /><br />I was looking at 2 x 130 amp deep cycles batteries.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Yep and since you have already mentioned the best set up I can't add anything else. I have a set up that charges my trolling battery when I run my big motor and would recomend it for anything longer than what you mentioned.

495v

Chief Petty Officer

Peterfishbuster, with that setup, what amp are your trolling batteries charged at? Are you not worried about premature wear with the quick turnaround rate. Do your batteries get used down before they get charged by the outboard and what capacity is used? Sounds to good to be true, I'm not familar with that setup. Tell me more.

I know this does not help while on the water but my mate on return from his outing plugs his into solar and it is charged that way. Not sure how he has set that up but one i will be looking at that for sure.<br /><br />I would also be interested in the set up to charge via the main motor. <br /><br />Thanks for all the posts to guys :) <br /><br />Brian

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Both of my minn kotas have the maximiser feature. I run two marine trolling 115 amp hour deepcycles on my 55#. I have fished two full days without any worries about dead batteries.

Well thanks all, I have bitten the bullet and as the local boat show was on i made my move.<br /><br />I am now the owner of a 55lb Bow Mount Riptide Saltwater Auto Pilot with a quick release bracket.<br /><br />As for the batteries i will be getting two 130 amp Deep Cycle although not sure how i will set them up either as a joint set or a switched so i can move from one to the other. <br /><br />I guess now all the fun come in just setting my rig up :) :) <br /><br />Next i'm about to secure a Garmin 12 GPS.<br /><br />Brian

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I got to jump in here and say, that I have a Motorguide and it causes me no problems as of yet and it is going on 7 years old. As far as keeping the batteries charged, I have a extra wire in my trailer wiring harness that is hooked up to a switch on my dash and to my truck alt. When I feel they are getting low, I just kick the switch on and charge them. Works for me.

Fishbusters

Ensign

My set up is designed to be turned on and off as I desire so i am not charging the trolling battery all the time. I basicaly ran a jumper off the starting barery to the troller and put a switch inline. I usually only use it if I forgot to charge the battery or if it is run down while on the water and I am still fishing. I know In-Fisherman magizine discussed this in-depth. The system is known as a Lazerus system. I don't use it that often prefering to charge at home with a 2amp trickle charge but it works when needed. I have found my deep cycle batteries need replaced after 2 1/2 to 3 years regardles and so far the system I use has not reduced battery life.

sloopy

Commander

my batterbank is 2 500 amp agm batteries waying 150 each (300 pounds) on a harkon track systom in the bilge, I can use the batterys to help with ballest, if I let go of the controls for the battery track it locks in the middle of the boat, it is usualy in the middle :rolleyes: it is charged by 3 solar panals, a custommade generator (an old outboard that I gave a new life to, the generator extrealy quite), an alternator on my motor, and shoor Power :) I have a 55 inch ocean serieas Trolling moter up front (65 pounds thrust) the controlsare in the cockpit, so I can use it like a Bow Thruster, when docking, I can run it for 6 hours befor I have a switch disconect the current draw from it :) if you want I can give you info on the generator

sloopy

Commander

sorry about all that bad a$$ spelling..... spelling is not my strong area. I was never good at it, never will be... funny how I want to be an engineer :)