Minn Kota riptide/ quick release bracket install

roll_tide

Cadet
Hello everyone. I am in the process of installing a Minn Kota quick release for my trolling motor. The trolling motor is a 24v 70lb thrust riptide. I was wondering if it would be ok to use 4 rubber isolator bolts to mount the bracket to the bow. I don't think I would be able to reach back that far to through bolt it!!

The only problem using the rubber isolator bolts is that the rubber "t' piece on top would raise the small block of the composite quick release about 1/4-1/2". This would make it so that when the trolling motor is locked in to the bracket it wouldn't be sitting flush on the bow. Seems like that would be an issue.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota riptide/ quick release bracket install

Why? The deck mounted piece accepts the motor mounted piece. Contact with the deck is not an issue.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Sme issue for my set-up. It's not an issue. Just as a caveat, be warned that the motor can appear locked in the quick release when it is actually riding on top of the catches. A few weeks ago, I looked into my rear-view only find my Minn Kota perilously teetering on the edge of the bracket. The moment I slowed enough, the air resistance was lost and off she fell, only to be run over by an 18-wheeler and ground to a ball of melted plastic and steel dust. No bull.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

All the more reason to use the two piece metal plate. It's cheaper and a heck of a lot more secure.

roll_tide

Cadet

I don't think it is an issue, just more of me being anal!:D

I was thinking that flexing could be a problem with that small gap.

Also, no matter where I position the motor, it has to hang off the bow in order to provide the right amount of clearance for the shaft, is this normal?? I can post a picture if need be.

Thanks guys.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When the motor is deloyed, the shaft obviously needs to clear the bow. So adjust the position of the bracket with that in mind. Thats as good as it gets with any troller.

roll_tide

Cadet

Thanks for help gents. I think when I installed the rubber isolator bolts I tightened them too much and the rubber actually broke or pulled through. Has any experienced this problem? So I have to spend another $20 for 4 more bolts. Hopefully I can use the same holes. I don't want to drill any more holes. I wish I could through bolt it but the way my boat is designed makes it impossible.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You may have drilled the holes too big. If not, then you probably did overtighten them. These work well. You don't need to tighten them so much you break them. Well nuts are available at some better hardware stores as well -- and they aren't $20 bucks.

roll_tide

Cadet

Does this mean I need to re-drill the holes?

Can I get them at the big box stores?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've seen them at Lowes, some farm stores (like Fleet Farm) but the better Hardware stores will have them as well. I don't know if you drilled the holes too big. The well nuts should be a rather tight fit when push them in. You need to tighten them only to the point where they expand enough to prevent them pulling back through the hole.

roll_tide

Cadet

I wish I could through bolt and be done with it! I guess I will fill in the other holes with Marine Tex and remount it. I will drill the holes smaller this time. If I fill those holes with Marine Tex, can I re-drill in the exact same place, only drilling the hole a little smaller. I plan on filling the holes tomorrow morning, and redrilling Sunday evening. This would give it plenty of time to cure and bond.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I would look for the next size larger well nuts. That would eliminate any possiblity of the filler used in the holes letting go and losing the motor. The well nuts would then require larger bolts but the holes in the quick release plate can be drilled larger to accomodate them. Don't do any more damage to the boat by drill another set of holes. I don't know the layout of your boat but there must be a way you can get some hardware in there.

roll_tide

Cadet

I ended up getting some Minn Kota quick nuts from Bass Pro. They work perfect. No way in the world they are going to pull out. Thanks for the guidance man.