Minn Kota bow mount Powerdrive Autopilot - only runs in reverse

TDKBama

Recruit
Problem solved - thanks for the replies. (Minn Kota service told me I must have rotated the housing section 180 degrees when I re-assembled it. That reversed the polarity and would cause the reverse problem.)

Original problem: While cleaning my boat for springtime fishing, I removed the prop on my Minn Kota 55 # Powerdrive Autopilot bowmount motor to clean and grease it. Made the mistake of removing the 2 thru-bolts that hold the end housing on. Big mistake, I know. Removed the Armature Assembly - Bigger mistake!. Finally got it all back together, o-ring sealed ok. I had a heck of a time getting the ball bearing piece that touches the brushes back in place

The motor sounds fine and the prob now turns, but only in reverse! I obviously screwed something up during this little adventure, but I don't know which mis-step caused it to run in reverse.

I haven't changed any battery connections - all look right. Any ideas would be very helpful. Humbly asking for guidance... Could it be the brushes?

Thanks for any help provided.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Minn Kota bow mount Powerdrive Autopilot - only runs in reverse

Did you put the magnets back in backwards?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just curious but what possessed you to remove those two bolts since the only thing you need to remove to pull the prop is the center nut -- and that was looking right at you.

TDKBama

Recruit

I removed the bolts thinking there was something to be lubricated or cleaned.
I just called Minn Kota service and was told that I must have rotated the housing section 180 degrees when I assembled it. That reversed the polarity and would cause the reverse problem. Sounds simple enough.

Those folks were VERY helpful and said I'm in good company when it comes to guys doing stuff like this. Lesson learned - leave that section alone.

Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You reversed the brushes.

Take it apart and switch them back to the correct position.