Milky oil, ran it, then clear-problem?

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
A 140hp in-line 4 mercruiser I am looking at got a bit overheated due to the stern impeller going out. Compression (cold) in all cylinders was 145-150 before we ran it. 2 weeks pass, impeller was replaced, and I checked it out again. Oil looked a bit milky before the run, buy afterwards it seemed clear. Compression hasn't changed, boat seems to run strong at WOT. Do I have anything to worry about? Even if the headgasket is leaking, is it a big deal to replace it? <br /><br />Thanks

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Milky oil, ran it, then clear-problem?

Is the head gasket leaking?

Hasbeen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why would you even take the chance running an engine if the oil looked (a bit milky)to start with?? If the engine wasnt damaged to start with it may be now!!<br /><br />Sorry, just me!!!<br /><br />Hasbeen

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if the head gasket is leaking-how can you tell?<br /><br />As for running it after seeing milky oil, I didn't think it would damage the engine since I monitored the engine temperature closly. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Trent

Captain

Milky oil is normally not a head gasket. Its a bad manifold or riser (sometimes a gasket). A good repair shop can pressure check.