milky oil in lower unit

Hello all, mine is an 87 gamefisher 9.9. Could someone help me determine which seals need replacement, other than the milky oil in lower unit the moter really runs strong, the prevous owner installed a 15 hp carb, makes that little boat really go.

D

DJ

Re: milky oil in lower unit

The most common source of lower unit leaks are the fill and drain plug seals.

Im nearly 100% sure its not the nylon washers that go with the plugs, where would I look next this problem started when previous owner had taken the lower unit apart. I see that Sears sells a seal kit, but dosent tell whats in it. There must be at least 10 differnt seals and judging by the price of the seal kit they are not all in there.

D

DJ

Typically, a seal kit would have the following.<br /><br />1. Propshaft seal.<br /><br />2. Driveshaft seal.<br /><br />3. Shiftrod seal.

Djohns thanks for your help this morning, just a couple more questions. Is it necessary to replace these seals like the prop shaft seal every time you open up the lower unit ( like changing a gasket ) and where might I find a shop manual for this motor 87 gamefisher 9.9. By the way I noticed a small drip of oil on the floor around the prop is that a bad prop seal.

alcan

Commander

Hi Wellcraft<br />I am not sure, but I think your motor is a Force product. If so then a Force manual will help you with this repair. Fishing line is probably the #1 villin in leaking L/Us. The line screws around the prop shaft as it wraps up. This either forces the line tight aginst the rubber seal or runs it under the seal. The shift shaft seal is probably the third most likely spot for failure, after the fill plug gaskets. It is probably time to replace all of the seals in your L/U. If you purchess a hand vacuume and presure pump you will be able to test your unit and see exactly where it leaks. These tests will also tell you very quickly weather or not your repair job was sucessful. It seems to me you can buy this equiptment at a auto parts store for around $35.

force01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

reseal the entire lower unit, the seal kits are cheap this will insure years of trouble free service. check i boats for you seal kit if they cant help you we can thanks bret<br /><br /> If you need further assistance please email me @ forcepower01@yahoo.com. thanks,Bret

GeeFrankk

Seaman Apprentice

Alcan was right on with the info, but here's a twist, had a 50hp OB, wasn't seals in the foot, had a pin hole in the side and after locating it, used a ball pean hammer to seal it. Got to be careful though, don't hit it to hard. No more water in the oil!