Milky liquid from prop??

Flounderhook

Cadet
2003 Mercury 25 2 Stroke Outboard.I have a milky liquid coming out from center of prop while I am running with mouse ears attached. I stored boat for winter, took it out ran it on the water. Lower unit oil was not milky color when I checked and I have sinced replaced the oil. I ran motor for a while 20 min or so and it is still coming out???

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Milky liquid from prop??

I had same sort of thing, 40 Merc after first couple usage after winter layup.<br />Is it sort of like thick light brown scummy looking crap coming from exhaust ?<br />I think it's just a residue from the fogging oil burning off..

Flounderhook

Cadet

You described it exactly, makes sense about the fogging oil burn off. Thanks for the reply.

RyBisp

Cadet

Originally posted by Scali:<br /> I had same sort of thing, 40 Merc after first couple usage after winter layup.<br />Is it sort of like thick light brown scummy looking crap coming from exhaust ?<br />I think it's just a residue from the fogging oil burning off..

RyBisp

Cadet

How long did it take for the oil residue to burn off? I am having same symptoms on a 40hp 4cyl., Thought it was catostrophic.I pulled the lower unit off and checked lower unit out, all is good there. Thats as far as I have gone so far.

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got the same engine, 1994 40 4 banger,<br />It's less & less after each use as the fogging oil residue burns off..<br />I used my boat 3 times this season thus far, short trips only burned 6 gallons & I didnt see anything yesterday after flushing it.<br />The only other thing I thought it could've contributed to it was some of the marine grease & sealer, wd 40 I used in the LU when I did my waterpump couple weeks ago but that wouldnt come out of the exhaust I dont think.<br />What else could it be if the gear oil is good ..<br />It's just a little oil scum , looks like the oil mixed with moisture or condensation over the winter & slowly comes out looking like turkey gravy .. <br /><br />I'm no Marine Tech but I believe this is the situation & as I noted it clears up after you use the engine for a couple hours ..

RyBisp

Cadet

Great ! I appreciate it.I just hope its not something else. Do you know how to check the crankcase oil or if it has any. I am sure it does. I originaly thought this may be the source. Thanks

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gearcase you mean ?<br />Theres no crancase oil, it's a 2 stroke.<br />Thats why you add the 2 stroke oil to the gas, I hope your doing that !<br />Or if it's oil injected making sure the tank is full & the oil injection system is working & all maintence items done.<br />Crack the fill screw to sample gearcase oil..