milky exaust

CRANKIE

Seaman
can someone please tell me what it means when,<br />the exaust comming out of the prop of a outboard is milky white. (50 hp merc) :confused: <br />ps,it is not from lower unit.

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: milky exaust

Dont be suprised when 2 cycle motors smoke. All it is is burnt oil that is mixed with fuel keeping it all slick. No harm, just when your motor starts giving you problems, start worrying.<br />p.s. what do you mean milky? is it more of a bright blue color, if it is thats normal.

CRANKIE

Seaman

WHAT HAPPENS IS WHITE MILKY LUMPS COME OUT WITH EXAUST,ALSO IT LOOKS WIPPED AND FULL OF AIR BUBBLES

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like you have a bad seal in your lower unit. Water may be getting inside your lower unit causing a milky reaction to your gear oil.

Sounds like burnt,unburnt oil mixing with moisture in exshaust.Maybe from a lot of idling,too much oil in mix or carb related.What do plugs look like?

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like normal sploogy that can develope after running and then parking. The residue from inside the leg is washed down by unburnt gas along with spilled gas that runs out of the carbs when tilting. <br /><br />You could try disconnecting the gas line and continue to run for a half minute or so to empty the carbs somewhat before tilting for transit, ect.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

My 50 Merc sits around for a while (Winter here) and I start and run it with fresh fuel 3 weekly.<br />After a couple of days, it starts to drip Fuel/Oil out of the prop.<br />This is because I only idle it or run it to @1200 rpm and the fuel doesn't get burnt fully.<br />So if you are getting discharge, it's most likely normal.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Milky white means that you might be getting water in the Cyl's or in the exhaust chamber. Generally a blown gasket.<br /><br />Pull the spark plugs and look for Milky oil on them. Or fine droplets of water.<br /><br />TMD

CRANKIE

Seaman

sorry it took so long to reply. found it :D a bad fuel pump, excess fuel was pulled in through vac hose into tranfer port.new pump kit no more milky exhaust :cool: thanks for all your input :)