Milky engine oil and telltale

Malpais Man

Cadet
Good morning
Well yesterday was nice and warm so I thought I would work on the boat. I checked the oil on my Evinrude e50pl4ee and was shocked to see it was milky. I had checked it about a month ago and it was nice and clean. I drained the oil, put some new oil in and ran it for quite a while to flush out whatever is left there. As it ran, I looked at the head gasket etc and could not see anything concerning. Any ideas why it would do that and where I should start?

Another issue, I also pulled the water tell tale hoses. On the starboard side, water was coming out fine. On the port side, there are two outlets right above the oil filter. I removed the hoses and no water was coming out of either of them, any ideas?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Was the oil milky again after you changed it and ran it? If so perform compression check, make sure the throttle is open on these 4 strokes when you do so.

Malpais Man

Cadet
I checked the oil and it looks good, I ran it yesterday for a good 30 to 40 minutes. I only did one flush and plan to do another with a new filter as well. Amy ideas what would cause that?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have 4 of those motors for parts , maybe I will have a look into where those hoses are at ?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I checked the oil and it looks good, I ran it yesterday for a good 30 to 40 minutes. I only did one flush and plan to do another with a new filter as well. Amy ideas what would cause that?

Milky oil is water in oil...personally never seen condensation do it. I would assume you got water in there somehow. Either it sank or has a bad gasket or a crack somewhere.

Would recommend figuring out your hose issue, racer mentioned he might check if you ask him...I dont have any unwrapped from storage yet.

then I would check compression. If that's good look for signs of leaks at base/oil pan gasket. Misrouted water hoses etc.

you may have to run it under load to get it warm enough to know whether it's a fluke? Hard to say from 2009 miles away...

Is it a "salty dog?" Is it new to you? How many times a season do you change your oil? How long had that oil been in for?

Malpais Man

Cadet
Milky oil is water in oil...personally never seen condensation do it. I would assume you got water in there somehow. Either it sank or has a bad gasket or a crack somewhere.

Would recommend figuring out your hose issue, racer mentioned he might check if you ask him...I dont have any unwrapped from storage yet.

then I would check compression. If that's good look for signs of leaks at base/oil pan gasket. Misrouted water hoses etc.

you may have to run it under load to get it warm enough to know whether it's a fluke? Hard to say from 2009 miles away...

Is it a "salty dog?" Is it new to you? How many times a season do you change your oil? How long had that oil been in for?

Jakedaawg, I have had it about 2 months and have had it out on the water twice and it ran great. never been in saltwater from what I was told. I had checked the oil when I first got it and it was good. I live in NM so no saltwater around.

Malpais Man

Cadet
Here is a pic of the two outlets above the oil filter thank you

Attachments

• 20190415_122202.jpg
    20190415_122202.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The parts book shows an IAC valve with hoses going to it and to a silencer for that item.---And an air breather hose on the port side too.-Is that perhaps what you are looking at ?

Malpais Man

Cadet
The parts book shows an IAC valve with hoses going to it and to a silencer for that item.---And an air breather hose on the port side too.-Is that perhaps what you are looking at ?
I was able to get a Suzuki df50 book which is what this engine is rrbranded as evinrude, and it shows the two hoses are a water inlet and outlet for the vapor separator. Of these hoses where crossed would that cause the milky oil issue?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Doubtful. If there was water in the fuel and a bad lift pump dumping it into the valve cover it would not run well.

Malpais Man

Cadet
I have 4 of those motors for parts , maybe I will have a look into where those hoses are at ?

Racerone, you said you had a few of these engines. I was wondering about removing the lower unit to change impeller, is there any special trick to remove shift linkage? I have a Suzuki df50 manual and an evinrude manual that is for a 70hp. Looks like the Suzuki one matches better and shows a lock nut and turnbuckle can you clarify?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
It simply unscrews. The lock nut screws onto the barrel nut on shift rod. This is just above the split line of lower and mid.

Malpais Man

Cadet
Hi everyone, can anyone tell me the difference between the ep50pl4ee and the e50pl4ees? I am asking because when I search for parts the ees usually comes up.and I wondering if the parts are the same for both motors, ie water pump etc. I have the e50pl4ee. Thank you