Milfoil > pond = bass cover?

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guy's I hate to even ask this, but I am trying to look at some ways to help the bass grow better in our "community pond." To make a long story short, it's asemi private pond (about 4-6 acres big) that is seeing some heavy fishing. I was curious if the milfoil would help provide some cover or should I use something else? It doesn't have a whole lot of cover as it is. Thanks Mike

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Milfoil > pond = bass cover?

Depends on the depth of the pond. Milfoil works great if have deep water adjacent to where the Milfoil grows. One would have to find out the light penetration depth and that is the limit the weeds can grow. If the water is clear enough and it has light penetration to the deepest part the whole pond could become choked with the weeds. <br /> Not knowing local laws in AL. about a semi private pond I would suggest finding out from your local DNR what may work(if legal) as I am sure they could help.

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, It is a pretty murky colored pond all year round. Right now it probably only has about 2 -3 ft. visibility. It goes from a 1' - 15 ft deep. DNR = ? not sure of the abbreviation - mike

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Your department of natural resources or whatever your state agency that oversees the waters in your state. <br /> If you really want to figure this out yourself than get a book on aquariums or ponds as it will inform you on ph, hardness etc that is needed on an enclosed eco systerm.These books will<br />give a more simplified approach to the many aspects of water chemistry. They are fairly simple and can give a good understanding of what to do.<br /> I have simple drainage ponds behind the house<br /> that are not quite deep enough to keep fish(only because of the winter weather). At the height of high water it is probobly 8 feet. Someone had the idea to get rid of the duck weed that was growing as it didn't look as good as they thought it would. They added a chemical to kill it and now we have brown water which they are complaining about. <br /> What I am trying to say is an enclosed ecosystem can be harmed very easily. Tread lighty and depending,on how many others on this semi private pond would be impacted, to see if the best <br />alternative could be found. <br /> In closing I would love to be able to try to <br />get a good bass pond going. Do a little research before you add anything into the pond. Good luck.

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again. I will try the water guy's and see what will work - mike

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know this probably won't be a big help, but a couple of months ago, Field and Stream had an article on building your own bass pond. I know it talked about some different substrates and stuff that might be somewhat helpful, maybe for the references if nothing else. I'll see if I can find it. Living in a suburban neighborhood, I didn't read it all that closely :D .

crab bait

Captain

you sure don't wanna grow MILFOIL..!! it'll take over a pond PRONTO.. <br /><br />you'll wish you hadn't..<br /><br />wait for xmas.. collect many many old trees.. bundle groups together with ss steel wire.. take em' out an drop 'em in.. <br /><br />in dif locations..

LubeDude

Admiral

Crabbaits Idea is right on, NO MILFOIL.

gonefishie

Commander

I agrees with the no milfoil suggestions too. The reservoir closest to my house which I fish at most often have a bad problem with milfoil. This lake water is gin clear so this stuff grow everywhere at down to 20 ft deep. It great for the bass cause there are millions of little fish when you look down into the jungles. The thing is it's a b...ch to fish, I can't get the big boys to come out to save my life. Every now and then one would come to the edge but most of them tucked in the thick of it. Anyone have experienced with and have much success in this type of lake?

crab bait

Captain

yeah,, but i only can catch the stupid ones.. so i'm not much help..

gonefishie

Commander

Wow you get to fish lake guntersville? you're already lucky, isn't that where Dean Rojas brought in over 45 lbs on a 5 fish limit and over a hundred pound for the 3 days total? Maybe it was a lake in Florida.