MIG welders

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Just need some opinions on cheap wire feed welders. I know a person who works for a tool dealer. It is one of those tool companies that travels around selling stuff. I usually won't buy anything from these dealers. He has a wire feed welder, gas not flux core, for sale. It is a Century, 100 amp welder. Brand new, only has a small scratch on the cover because it was a dispaly model. It is selling for $100.<br />Now I have a CEM wire welder that was given to me. My uncle got it years ago, and it never worked right. He gave it to me to try to use, but I can't get it to work. It just will not hold an arc. <br />I will use it for light work, welding floor pans in cars, welding fenders on cars that sort of thing. Only as a hobby welder. <br />Has anyone else ever had any experience with one of these? Are they any good? <br />I think it is only a 110 plug, so the duty cycle I am sure is rated low.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: MIG welders

You should be fine seeing as you are using it as you describe. Spool it with .023 wire and 25 75 Argon gas and go for it.<br /><br />I have a cheap one I bought from Harbor Freight, it is a pore excuse for a welder as far as quality goes, but for light duty it works fine. If you are in business as an Auto Body Shop, you will wear it out in no time. As a Hobby welder it should last quite awhile.

ehenry

Commander

LubeDude speaks words of iron ! Go with the .023 gauge wire and you'll be fine. The reason you're having problems now it that your wire may be a little heavy and the feep is set a little to fast.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To Non-boating Tech.