mid 80's Merc 25 "choke" retrofit?

joewildlife

Cadet
Buddy gave me the motor, I only pay him something for it if I can raise it from the dead. He tells me from day one, new, the "choke" has been a problem. I have just begun my research but this motor has no typical choke. I think I've learned it is some kind of automatic fuel enrichment system. I've always hated this vintage Merc 25, but haven't had to deal with them for about 15 years now. I just never had any luck with them. Is it because of this system? If so, is there any kind of retrofit kit available or has anybody ever fabricated something to address the problem? My buddy said it was standard procedure for them to carry a mustard squeeze bottle full of gasoline with them to get this motor to run. I'm thinking about fabricating a real "choke" and disabling whatever it uses now. I'm thinking along the lines of a round, pivoting plate that will block the throat of the carb (perpindicular to air flow). I think other merc models use this, I've seen other small engines use that system instead of a typical butterfly valve. I think I can fabricate something, but would sure as hell rather buy a kit some other dude has made! Any help is greatly appreciated!

joewildlife

Cadet
Re: mid 80's Merc 25 "choke" retrofit?

Never mind...decided to relegate this motor to the junk pile. I'd rather raise an old evinrude from the dead instead of this Merc.

Joe