Mid '80's mariner 689- acts like its dropping cyl @ WOT

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice
mid 80's Mariner 30E 689-

new plugs, new fuel pump, rebuilt and cleaned carb, new fuel tank and lines, still bogged down at WOT, took to repair shop they said the carb just needed to be cleaned again, said they checked all electrical, compresssion and timing all good.

but still same problem, bump the key it starts and idles fine, throttle up and it just boggs down, like it is dropping a cylinder. I have checked for spark and have it on both cylinders at idle. Will an electrical component cause the motor to loose a cylinder under load?

at my whits end with this thing, any sugestions?

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mid '80's mariner 689- acts like its dropping cyl @ WOT

after a little more tinkering and attempts to diag. found it is flooding out bottom cyl under load. Possible reasons: reed valve or carb flooding. Carb has been cleaned and rebuilt so first replace reed valve, and while you have to remove carb for access to manifold and reed valve check carb float alignment and clean again to be sure. Then test run again maybe that will do it if not think ignition coil or rectifier maybe.....replaced everything else why not.

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mid '80's mariner 689- acts like its dropping cyl @ WOT

Replaced reed valve assy and gaskets, also got new main jet and nozzel for carb since I had it apart and when I took the main jet off and looked at the nozzel I found that the last person who took it apart to clean it broke the nozzel used an easy out to remove it and put the new parts in put it in the water and now it's running fine.

lesson learned: do it yourself