Mid 80s 115 Mercury - Any Things to Look Out For?

rob reber

Cadet
Hello from eastern Indiana! For Christmas, my wife bought me a 16ft bass boat with a mid 1980s Mercury outboard motor. I have had experience with only small outboard motors (3-5 hp Evinrudes and Johnsons) in the past. Is there anything that I should be keeping my eye out for regarding this motor?
The fellow that we bought it from said that it was already winterized. In the past I have only fogged the carbs and added gas stabilizer to my smaller motors. Are there other things that I should be doing to the 115 to winterize it for next year? This is going to be a new experience for me because this is the first "real" bass boat that I have had. My grandfather used to let me drive his boat with a 75hp Evinrude, but I never was responsible for anything related to maintenance. First time poster! Thanks in advance for all your help!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mid 80s 115 Mercury - Any Things to Look Out For?

Winterizing the large OBs is the same as for the small ones. You might let a bit of gear oil out of the gearcase, and make sure he changed it. It should be clear, like fresh motor oil. Hit the grease fittings, and wait for spring.

Use a midgrade gas in that motor. Also check the oil injection system to see if it has one, it is connected and it is working. Mix 50::1 gas-oil until you are sure the autoblend works properly.

arsenalpsu

Petty Officer 1st Class

If i were you i'd get rid of the oil injection system if you have one. Premix it all...Replace the impeller before you run her. Make sure timing at WOT is around 19-20. I'd also get rid of the idle stabilizer. It's a small black box on the front cow suppord. Many people agree that it can cause detonation at high RPM and WOT.

rob reber

Cadet

Chris1956 and arsenalpsu,
Thanks a bunch for the information! I am sure that I will have alot of other questions as time goes by. I am trying to read as much of the archived information as possible, but it is always nice to get responses from knowledgeable folks! Thanks again!

-Rob