Mid 2000's ocean runner 200

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking for a little advice. Looked at a project boat the other day and the motor is an Ocean Runner 200, unsure of the year as the tag is partly illegible. Owner thinks it is a 2005 or 2006. Took a hit and punched in the leading part of the lower unit, caved in the cone about an inch. Also snapped of the starboard stern bracket. Motor starts up and idles very smooth, fires up quick and easy. I did a compression test cold, 75 to 80 lbs all 6 cylinders. Not sure what that beast is supposed to have but I expected more than that. I would really appreciate it if someone could weigh in on the desired compression. I was always told on an motor that if the readings are within 10% from highest to lowest all is well. I did look for a welch plug with a model and serial number to try to ID the motor but was unable to locate it
thanks in advance for any advice.
Bill

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Those numbers are low, but how well do you know your gauge, gauges can read very different from each other, technique can change the results too. Being even is good, low compression can cause hard starting and poor idle.

​Lots of parts there to replace, $$$,

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use this compression gauge extensively so I am 100% sure of it. I wondered if may be it needed a good de-carbon and that might help. I didn't try it warm as the guy couldn't find his muffs to run water through it. I did notice a fitting just under the rear cover latch, looked like you could hook a hose to it, assumed that was to rinse out with fresh water after a salt water trip