Microwave Repair

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The other night the transformer on my Microwave decided to burn up (pleasant smell). A friend had the a very similar model that only had a bad display that was from a rental property. I swapped the transformers, but I'm not 100% sure that I have the wiring back right (no I didn't make notes tearing it down because I would remember....).<br /><br />Not sure if anyone is familiar with this, but here is my dilemma. From the Transformer, a set of wires come off and go to the connector for the magnetron. One of the wires from that connector goes to the high voltage capacitor. A separate wire goes from the transformer to the other terminal of the capacitor. I can't remember for sure which way it goes and don't want to find out how the capacitor likes being hooked up backwards. I used to repair power supplies for cable distribution equipment so I know what that looks like. Anyway, one side of the capacitor is grounded to the microwave chassis. Does anyone know if the magnetron lead or the transformer lead goes to the terminal with the ground. I *believe* it is the magnetron connected line, but I'm not willing to bet on it. The Microwave is a recent GE over the stove model.<br /><br />Any ideas? I've been googling for a schematic, but I can't find one yet.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Microwave Repair

Many, but not all micro-waves have a schematic diagram attached to the case or chassi unit. With a little luck you'll have your answer, good luck.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll looked though the shells of both units (going to go look again) but did not see one.<br /><br />According to the diagram from Microwave Repair It looks like the magnetron side of the cap is the grounded side. Going to keep digging and fire it up and see what it does. :)

heycods

Captain

See etiff nibbles story on kerosein heater in Dockside Chat . It will answer your problem.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I didn't break out the sledge, but did decide to trust my memory and gave it a shot. It works perfectly. Nice to know I can actually fix something correctly once in a while.

Xcusme

Commander

Digital Cameras are your friend.....saved my a$$ plenty of times!

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Xcusme, I would have never thought of that, what a great idea.....