methyl ethyl ketone (MEK)

mamoka

Cadet
MEK is not sold in California,what else can I use to repair my PVC zodiac Mark1.
thanks.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: methyl ethyl ketone (MEK)

Good question. If you make a trip to Oregon, Nevada, or Arizona, pick me up a gallon of MEK too please ;)

It is still available to a few places but heavily regulated. My partner has it in the lab, but I can't get any since that would be stealing.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Can it be shipped to Cali? You can order it from any number of sources.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Are all Ketone's banned in California or can you still get Acetone? Pretty much the same except it evaporates quicker.

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

MEK is not banned in California. That is misinformation often spread by employees at places like Home Depot and Ace hardware because they no longer sell MEK. Their main supplier Kleen Strip is stocking them with an MEK substitute that is adequate for thinning, but is not a replacement for prepping the surface of PVC. There are many professional paint or fiberglass supply stores that still stock it. Here in San Diego I purchased my MEK at Fiberlay. It can also be ordered from Tap Plastics. It ships as hazardous material, but is not excluded or prohibited. This lack of availability is directly related to a push to reduce the improper use of MEK as a basic household cleaner. Few shoppers at home improvement centers have any real need to be using MEK. Air Quality Control Districts are working hard to reduce the emissions from improperly used solvents and retailers are trying to reduce their liability for homeowners who fail to wear gloves and work in properly ventilated spaces.

Acetone does work, but the resulting bond is not as strong. You won't get the PVC to soften as much and be as receptive to the two part PVC glue. MEK does a much better job of softening the surface and does not flash off so fast. I would consider acetone for non critical uses like prepping for accesories, but I would not use it to replace MEK for bonds like transom or floor repairs.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MEK is not banned in California. That is misinformation often spread by employees at places like Home Depot and Ace hardware because they no longer sell MEK. Their main supplier Kleen Strip is stocking them with an MEK substitute that is adequate for thinning
Actually I heard the word banned from an owner of an ACE Hardware. Although I knew some stores still carried it, so I figured it was regulated in some form. Either way it is probably best if the masses don't use the stuff.

Many paint stores still stock MEK. I have some gluing to perform with PB-300 that uses MEK for thinning, and I don't want to use a substitute, so I called the local paint store. They have three gallons in stock.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

MEK is not banned in California. That is misinformation often spread by employees at places like Home Depot and Ace hardware because they no longer sell MEK. Their main supplier Kleen Strip is stocking them with an MEK substitute that is adequate for thinning, but is not a replacement for prepping the surface of PVC. There are many professional paint or fiberglass supply stores that still stock it. Here in San Diego I purchased my MEK at Fiberlay. It can also be ordered from Tap Plastics. It ships as hazardous material, but is not excluded or prohibited. This lack of availability is directly related to a push to reduce the improper use of MEK as a basic household cleaner. Few shoppers at home improvement centers have any real need to be using MEK. Air Quality Control Districts are working hard to reduce the emissions from improperly used solvents and retailers are trying to reduce their liability for homeowners who fail to wear gloves and work in properly ventilated spaces.

Acetone does work, but the resulting bond is not as strong. You won't get the PVC to soften as much and be as receptive to the two part PVC glue. MEK does a much better job of softening the surface and does not flash off so fast. I would consider acetone for non critical uses like prepping for accesories, but I would not use it to replace MEK for bonds like transom or floor repairs.

He be right on all accounts:)

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is Klean Strip's official webpage for MEK .
http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=85&prodid=103

I bought a gallon of MEK today along with a tar remover and some banned wax and grease remover. The PAINT STORE OWNER and I chatted for a few minutes about chemicals no longer allowed to be shipped to California. MEK can no longer be purchased from their supplier and they have to sell all their remaining stock within three years. Therefore you can call it what you want, but it is banned from general use as far as I am concerned. Those that utilize it in California better start calling around and find a paint store with some remaining stock and buy what they need.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/products/2651-methyl-ethyl-ketone-solvent-not-sale-california.html

sschefer

Rear Admiral

100 percent correct. Go to TAP Plastics they sell it in 1 and 5 gal cans.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

100 percent correct. Go to TAP Plastics they sell it in 1 and 5 gal cans.
What happens when they run out of current stock?

For the next three years you can still buy shark fins in California, you just can't import them anymore.

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

MEK has been delisted by the epa as a HAP so it no longer falls under prop 65. The issues in California are being driven by regulations in the Southern California Air Quality Control Districts. They are mandating that cleaners and general purpose solvents be of a lower voc.They are also specifying approved uses for solvents like MEK. It is currently exempt for use in industrial coatings. That is why the sale of MEK is being restricted in home improvement stores. While other parts of the state may have different regulations suppliers and retailers are responding by making products available that are compliant state wide. The retailers also avoid any record keeping requirements in ACQD's. The use of MEK in prepping for good PVC bonds is not even on the agenda. That use is not even recognized in any document I can find. MEK is currently allowed in non restricted areas and for industrial uses that are exempt. This solvent will not entirely disappear in the near future, but if a reasonable alternative is developed for the industrial coating industry we are screwed, because our use is not considered at all.

mamoka

Cadet

I found Industrial Maintenance Coating Thinner at Lowes & its recomended to use as MEK. is it as good as MEK?

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I was researching the availability of MEK I spoke with an inflatable repair shop that said the MEK substitute did not work well at all. I was told that it did not soften the PVC in the same manner as the MEK, but I did not try it. If you do purchase the lower voc thinner please post as to your results. With a few phone calls I found MEK locally so I did not feel the need to try other solvents.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since MEK is used in the plastics industry TAP may be able to carry it for a longer time. Either way they seem to still have it in stock along with some paint stores. Although paint stores can only sell what they currently have in stock.

One of my friends works in the plastic industry and makes MEK, as you can still buy the chemicals that make it up.