Metal vs plastic gas tanks

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice
What are the pros and cons to metal vs plastic gas tanks (3-6 gallons)for a fishing boat application?

mjestey2001

Cadet
Re: Metal vs plastic gas tanks

Don't get steel. thats pretty much it. Aluminum is good because it doesn't corrode and plastic is good for the same reason. Especially in your case, I would chose plastic. Plenty o'cheap tanks out there for you. If you have below deck tank, you are better off with alum. Just my 2 cents.....

shelbydriver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I noticed when I kept my metal tank in the well behind the johnson 175 there was a problem. when tilted back the motor crushed the tank a little. Good thing it was metal and not plastic.

D

DJ

Plastics work quite well.<br /><br />Just keep them out of the sun for extended periods. The UV attacks plastic.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Wow-wa-toes-uh!!!!!!!!!<br />11011 W North Ave.!!!!!!<br />Colonel Hart Park!!!!!!!!!<br />I'm having nightmares from my youth.<br />Hi, Nice to see someone from my hometown on the forum.<br />Formerly of 118th and Courtland.

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice

Hey ex-Tosaite!<br />I may have had a beer or two at Col hart's but I don't remember.<br />But I have had a Tombstone pizza!<br />I live more by Jake's on the East side.