Metal Pieces Under Flywheel

Allan Ewing

Cadet
1991 Johnson 175 V6. While running it for winterizing it began to make noise from area of flywheel. Pulled flywheel and found three pieces of metal. If I have the correct names, they came from charging coils on the stator. Each of the three charging coils has three metal pieces that surround the coil which are held in place by a metal clip. One half of all three metal surrounds on one coil broke off and were sticking to the magnets on the flywheel. I was able to run motor and finish winterizing. I am wandering, can you even get just those metal pieces; they look simple to replace, or am I looking at a new stator. Will not be doing anything till next spring now.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Metal Pieces Under Flywheel

Here's a diagram/parts list from a 1991 175hp Johnson ign. system, click here, I don't see any replacement parts for the stator and to my knowledge there is nothing serviceable on the stator, unfortunately it will probably have to be replaced, this diagram should at least give you an idea of what the part's are, that may be of some help.

muskrat

Chief Petty Officer

are the flywheel magnet loose too-check them..

Allan Ewing

Cadet

Thanks MCM, actually after I posted I saw that site on another post and had already checked it out. Was hoping someone may have had dealings with similar issue. I suspect when pieces start coming off it is the prudent thing to replace the whole stator even if there was a fix. Muskrat, magnets are ok.