Metal On Metal noise when I put it in gear

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2006 Monterey 180 FS with a 4-cyl chevy and Volvo Penta outdrive. When I rev the engine in neutral it sounds fine but once I put it in gear it makes a "jingle" sound that seems worse when I trim the motor or turn. Is it the Gimble? I have a feeling that it has to do with the gears/driveshaft especially because it seems to get worse when it is trimmed up. Also, I started it once, probably slightly trimmed up, and it shook the whole boat for a second. Any ideas? Thanks, Kevin.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Metal On Metal noise when I put it in gear

When was the last time you changed your lower unit dope? Maybe time for a change now and look for metal shavings.

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

When was the last time you changed your lower unit dope? Maybe time for a change now and look for metal shavings.

I'm sure Kevin will appreciate your advise, but there is no reason to call him a dope.
(Couldn't resist)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Dope = old timer slang for 90 wt. lube.;)

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I change the lower unit oil every year but as for the "dope", and I assume you mean grease etc., I have no idea. The boat only has 120 hours on it so I am not sure if it is just time for "tune up" or if there is a serious problem. Did you mean something other than the lower unit oil?