messy johnson

b rude

Recruit
I had my 15hp johnson overhauled The motor runs fine,but after afew hours running gray sludge comes out the holes just above the cavation plate.This keeps going for afew days of sitting around.I run 50to1 oil,I have played with the lean and rich.I was told screw the lean and rich nob all the way in and go out 3 turns to start with.I am running out of degreaser to clean the trasom and motor everytime. It also stops peeing 4 or 5 times an outing.I fix that by sticking apaper clip in the hole.Steamy pressure comes out,then works fine.Whats up with that? I need some good advice. :(

b rude

Recruit
Re: messy johnson

In reguards to your reply.It runs better,but still alot of oil is discharging.A friend told me,the bottom gasget under the power head chould be leaking because he had the same problem.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

If you are running that motor at low speed alot the sludge could just be unburned fuel that comes out with the exhaust...just a thought :)

b rude

Recruit

The reason Iam wondering about the power head gasget is, one of the bolts underneath might have been stripped out when they put it back together.I have owned this motor since it was new 1978.I have never had this problem before.Of course the guy who overhauled it says this normal(wont admit he might have screwed up).I talked to other mechanics and they are leaning toward abad gasget(sucking air)Im tired of taking the boat out of the water and it looks like crap.