Messed up my Alpha GenII bellows install/Any Idea's?

okboating

Seaman Apprentice
Well I got all my manuals, got the parts and was chugging away on bellows, gimbal bearing and shift cable, and water pump. I got the water pump in (went fine), got all the surfaces cleaned and ready for the bellows, and started with the new shift cable. I should have attached a fish tape or some wire or something to the old one, but I asked my teenage doughter to help me feed it in. Anyway after getting the thing routed thru the bellows, and go in to the transom, she said she could see it and I need to keep pushing. I said, is it in the same spot as the old one, she said yep.
Well, the darn thing was not, (from the outside of the boat) it went over the y pipe and shot to the left, went up over the output of the engine and the end is up curled around the engine output.
I have tried to get this thing out for about 4 to 5 hours. I cut the cable so it might be easier to work with, but it did not really help. I can see it with a mirror, and it goes up and over the drive shaft toward the port side.
Any ideas, would be appreciated!
Help, Dave:confused:

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Messed up my Alpha GenII bellows install/Any Idea's?

so you cut the new cable after it was stuck to help get it out?

if so, the new cable is junk

with out a fish tape to help route the new cable, have somebody with a long screwdriver force the end to the starboard side after it passes over the y-pipe and before it hits the back of the bellhousing

this is really the best/only way to get the new one in without a fish tape

okboating

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, I know I messed up the new cable long before I cut it. I even have found some other post with the screwdriver tip. This really stinks!
Dave

okboating

Seaman Apprentice

I pulled my seating and was able to get a better view, and then my wife (she is good luck) came out. And we got it out in about 20 minutes. THANK YOU LORD!!!
I am off to get a cable.
Dave