Message to NBC (rant)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey, you "expert" commentators!<br /><br />I am getting sick of your negative analysis of our athletes' performances.<br /><br />It was YOU who voiced unrealistic expectations of these people. Not them.<br /><br />YOU touted a swimmer to win 8 Gold Medals. He swam his best ever and finished third behind 2 better swimmers. A magnificent performance. You whined about the "burst bubble". SHAME on you!<br /><br />YOU touted our girl gymnasts to be the best in the world. They performed wonderfully and were beaten by only one team in all the world that performed better. "Aww shucks, they screwed up" you whine. SHAME on you!<br /><br />Same with our volleyball girls, our basketball teams, etcetera, etcetera.<br /><br />As our great athletes earn and collect medals for magnificent performances you continue to whine about the great disappointments. You may be disappointed, I am not.<br /><br />Every athlete who goes to the Olympic games is a world class winner, from whatever country. Every one will give his or her best that day. The best of the best get medals.<br /><br />I am proud of them all; the Greeks, Iraquis, Koreans, Chinese, . . . all of them; and yes, our Americans, too.<br /><br />How about some praise for their skill and effort? Knock off those stupid cheap shots. :mad:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Message to NBC (rant)

I agree JB. Stupid media idiots. If they ask one more time if someone is disappointed for not winning the gold...<br /><br />I love the olympics, it is where ANYONE from ANYWHERE can win.<br /><br />For some reason they seem to think we have to Gold metal in everything. These athletes are people not robots, they have good days and bad.<br /><br />Ken

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Amen JB,<br /><br />This is a world competition of athletes, we categorize them by country. As long as the best athlete on that day wins, Thats Great, I could care less about geographic or political labels.<br /><br />The thing about the chineese women needing a shave and a jock is a little disturbing. :D

Drowned Rat

Captain

I agree with you JB. I was watching the gymnastics the other day and as long as the athletes were doing good the commentators stayed quiet, they had nothing to say. But as soon as one of them swayed a little or something during a routine, they would jump all over it. "Oooooh that was a big mistake, the judges will really hit them hard for that". I just want to tell them to SHUT UP! :mad:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I just ignore the commentators, or more often have the sound off and music playing. I just want to see the athletes perform, I could give a rip about some irrelevent viewpoint voiced by someone sitting behind a microphone and not out there sweatin'....

Link

Rear Admiral

In agreement with you JB and the others<br /><br />I quit watching the Olympics in 1988... had something do with boxing.. But my mother in law was saying the same thing as a couple people at the coffee shop.<br />As per another post/rant here in DC (from me) my TV tuner no longer has NBC programmed in it.<br /><br />I sent a email to NBC telling them why and a copy to ABC, CBS, PBS, UPN, FOX and a couple others letting them know if they did the same I would not watch them either.<br /><br />Only got one reply and that was a very nice email from the program manager of KCPQ Ch 13 in our area.<br /><br />Let them know how you feel about it. Seems like a lot of people feel the same.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

Im with you jb, i stopped watching the summer olympics.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well stated JB. Heckava' good idea Link. Maybe if enough of us did just that, they would get the idea of a little more praise and a lot less negative analysis.

tylerin

Commander

I've been watching and enjoying the Olympics since I was a kid and nothing will take that away from me as hard as they try. I broke a vase the other night out of uncontrolled excitement for the USA. :)

PW2

Commander

I agree, JB.<br /><br />I watched that Andrea something interview the girls gymnast after their silver medal winning performance...<br /><br />One of the gymnasts finally said something to the effect of "Hey, we did our very best, this is the Olympics, and we got a silver medal...How much better can it get?"<br /><br />Good for her!

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

I have this thing at my house called a "remote control". Get this, seems it has power over the TV set, and if you don't want to hear Dumb Axx commentators, there this button on there that has two arrows, one up and one down. Funny thing is, if you push the down button, the commentators shut up. Boy I wish they'd come out with one for my wife.....(just kidding honey).... ;)

Carphunter

Commander

I heard Ian Thorpe, (aka, the "Thorpedo"), from Australia, say the other day that, he was afraid that because the expectations for Micheal Phelps was so great, that anything less than 8 Gold medals would be considered a failure. He also went on to say, that Phelps could be one of the most talented swimmers ever, and that we should all just sit back and enjoy his performance.<br />I was glad to hear him say that.<br /><br />..........then, after it was apparent that Phelps could not tie Mark Spitz record of 7 Golds, one of the announcers spews, "Well, at least he may be able to tie for the number of medals by one athlete in an olympic games".<br /><br />....."At least" :confused: <br /><br />.......What an idiot.<br /><br />Most of these athletes have done more by 6:00am than these commentators do in a month.<br /><br />There are soo many folks to be proud of over there. <br /><br />I won't root against the U.S., but I do find myself rooting for many of the other countries, especially when its apparent the U.S. may not be in the running on a particular event.<br /><br />I love the Olympics, and I pay little attention to the commentators.

karl smith

Cadet

I agree with lots of 'yall. When an athelete (Athens=Athe lete?) does something great, I care little about where they are from. If you really want to know, US atheletes have racked up over 2,100 medals since 1898. England, just over 800 (I think) and france (gag) 550. American athelets put it on the line and don't back down.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Along those same lines, these same people who shoot these kids' dreams in the foot for not winning gold should be ashamed of themselves for treating "Non-Medal Favorites" as if they are there only to be fodder for the power countries. All these athletes have worked their entire lives to achieve the ultimate level in thier respective sport. The announcers are either journalist "wannabe's" or has beens that can't perform anymore. Their time has past, and they can't accept it.<br />These kids have achieved the title Olympian, and thier time is now. That, in and of itself, is a victory that few of us, including the announcers, will achieve.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Excellently stated, Pat!<br /><br />NBC may be the only place in the universe where competing in the Olympic Games, much less an Olympic Silver Medal, is viewed as a failure.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I miss the days of Kirk Gowdy (sp) and Howard Cosell. They had their moments, but even they learned negative comments only hurt their own reputation.

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the comentators cant help themselves, they are used to reporting on pro(read paid) sports. this is pure unadulterated competition,not some made for tv glitz. :rolleyes:

blacktie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rock on...<br /><br />meanwhile there is barely a mention of the women's softball team. they are 77-0 over the last few years. they have not been scored upon at all in this olympics!<br /><br />that phelps kid is kicking butt.<br />the gymnasts (men and women) are on their way to one of our best olympics ever.<br /><br />the only negative I have seen in this olympics for the US is our spoiled rotten millionaire basketball team. I actually hope they lose. (I have never even said anything so blasphemous like this before)...allen iverson?!? let's go back to giving college kids who want to be there a chance to play b-ball....maybe send whoever is the NCAA championship team that year. at least they will look like they want to be there.