message to Mr. Derwood

crab bait

Captain
Re: message to Mr. Derwood

just add the 'dropleaf' to get a bigger boat... very practicale...!!<br /><br />later in the day you can 'beach' it .. flip it over ,, have a picnic... <br /><br />OH, THE POSSIBILATIES ...

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ROTFLMAO! I bet it planes in a second. Bet it stops in a second when the front digs into a wave.

bobber head

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Steering will be greatly improved by adding the Skegged dropleaf. Check the Marine section of any Lane Furniture Dept store.<br /><br />Evinrude suggests an increase of 10hp for every 6" of added leaf. Up to a max of 7' and 200hp.<br /><br />Through the hull fish finder installation may not be applicable. Is that craft Oak of Maple?<br /><br />Watch that trim, bobber

crab bait

Captain

i keep tellin' you fellas,,, ain't nuthin' like a 'wooden boat' anyway you can picure one...

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

Now what we have here is unrealized potential.<br /><br />You see, the man in this photo is obviosly a novice at shade tree enginering.<br /><br />If it were me:<br /><br />I would have used a table with a wooden frame and a glass insert....glass bottom boat.<br /><br />I would trick bolt on half a satilite dish to the front as to solve the wave/brick wall problem that Scoop so kindly brought to our attention.<br /><br />It would be a much more comferTABLE ride if he were to build a mailbox console with (none other than) a mower wheel steering system.<br /><br />With an inverted boat on top (trick bolted of coarse) he would have shade and could leave the boat in it's upright posistion and still have lunch....with a motor on the top and a drivers seat mounted from behind with a swivle he would not have to worry about capsizeing....if he were to flip he could just give the second motor a quick pull and be on his way (provideing that the mail box console was set to be at the middle point of the two boats).<br /><br />The corner posts could serve a plthira of uses:<br /><br />Masts for sails<br /><br /> flag poles (jolly roger would be fitting....as long as the bones had a reble flag as a background)<br /><br /> down rigger poles, P.V.C. would make a real nice rod holder just pushed down over the top of one<br /><br /> lighting posts (can you imagen four strobes on that thing coming at you out of the morning mist with a fog horn going off)<br /><br /> a piece of plexeglass trick bolted to the front of the two posts would keep the driver warm and dry while also keeping him shielded from low flying birds and beetles.<br /><br />And so on, and so on....<br /><br />My wife saw the picture also....It seems that I am not allowd to be near the dinning room table unless a meal is beeing served....whats up with that?<br /><br />Shadywood.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Derwood My Man:... The mental picture you paint is TOO MUCH... I can see it plain as day... You're killin' me...LOL... :D :D :D :D

ob

Admiral

Put another one on top and go for the four poster bunk bed boat.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

One of these days I am going to build a boat so shady with stuff that should not even be near a lake....the'll probly bar me from boating all together.<br /><br />Shadywood.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I've been thinking about this for a while now... For my next project boat the "SS Dumpster Diver", I'm gonna need lots'a help from Mr. Shadywood..<br /><br />Here's the plan... The stuff used in it's construction can ONLY be obtained from dumpsters, garbage piles and junkyards.. Oops pardon me, there not junkyards anymore... Now there "Recycling Centers".....<br /><br />Maybe I'll allow myself $50 Bucks in goodies like screws and other Hardware store stuff... Maybe I can find some items from these "Recycling Centers" for this "Trick Bolting" method which I've yet to learn, but feel I must master to accomplish this goal... <br /><br />What do ya'll think?.... :confused:

gonfishn

Commander

Mister DerWood????? I know he is known by many things but Mister now come on. FabricatedWood yes, Knightwood maybe but Mister and sir belong to us older taters like JB who go to the head of the line out of respect for our age and weak knees. <br /><br />Sorry Dw I need to keep you young and mister puts you into another dimmension. I'm sure your better half leaves that special Mister out unless your you know what is in the wind.<br /><br />The list is long but Mister makes you above and beyond...............

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yeah... Ok.. The "Mister" was a bit of a strech.... :p

bobber head

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As for the Scrap boat, I can see the seating, running lights, live well, and prop...you know the creature comnforts, being built pretty easily: but what about the hull?<br /><br />Maybe one of those tractor trailer tanks that tumped over on the highway and only needs a cutting torch? Include the rods in your $50.?

Fishbusters

Ensign

You know the used to have a home made raft competition here locally and some of those things barely floated while others like the can barge looked like it was a good idea. I would start by collecting plastic soda bottles. Here your local High School might come in handy if it has vending machines

RICKRICK1

Ensign

How bout "Master" Shadywood :D :D <br /><br />I can see it now a whole new fleet of "one of a kind" boats, a new industry. Derwood can sign each one, just think of all the people who would want one.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Bobber Head, Peter, & ya'll, here's the idea for the hull.... I want to build something with classic lines so I'm thinking of cold molded plywood construction... See, I got the low down on where all the good dumpsters on construction sites are from my buddys in the construction industry.... Lots of plywood scraps in there, so I figure cold molded plywood would make good use of small odd size scraps...Lot's of wire and conduit too...<br /><br />And YES, I will get permission to dive in their dumpsters first... Who knows, with a little incentive(A few cold brew's), maybe I can get the Carpenter bud's to haul the good stuff home for me before the scavengers get to it....<br /><br />I was trying to figure out how to use empty five gallon drywall joint compound buckets as pontoons, but it looks like it won't fly... <br /><br />As for power, I've got my eye out for a Briggs roto-tiller engine about 5 horsepower or so connected to a straight shaft inboard via a few pulleys and old fan belts... I think this is where this "trick bolting" thing will come into play.... P.S. I can weld a bit too...Hummmm...Look out... :eek: <br /><br />This project will be on hold for a while though, as I have one too many irons in the fire already.. When I start I'll post it's progress in the "Project Boats" forum, so keep an eye out for it.... :p

bobber head

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have me thinkng. <br />There is an annual "Boat float" here that consists of odd home-made crafts, most actually do float, parading a few miles down the river.<br /><br />Idea as of this morning:<br /><br />1, 4X8 sheet of 3/4" OSB.<br />2, 4X8 sheets of 1/2" OSB. <br />1x6 wrap around facial.<br />200, 2 liter plastic bottles.<br /><br />The 3/4" would be the deck. <br />The middle sheet would be evenly drilled, 4", for the bottles to slip into upside down, and the bottom sheet drilled 2" as the "keeper" to retian the bottles in place.<br /><br />I don't suppose this is very orig. but seems easy enough to construct and rig with a few bells and whistles. Flip it up side down with removable axle/wheels for transport?<br /><br />Anyway, the image I got of your roto tiller I/O rig made me very envious. You got a site link I could learn some of the finer point of "Cold Molding"?<br /><br />Bobber

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

www.woodenboat.com might have something on cold molding or strip plank construction... :confused: <br /><br />Don't know about using OSB... Water an OSB don't mix to well... Usualy comes out like wet mulch.. Interesting idea with the soda bottles though... :D

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

Dude...I am still trying to scan the plans for the plywood bass boat that I have.<br /><br />It incorparates a 3hp lawnmowwer engin to power paddle wheels like an old Mississippi river gambleing boat.<br /><br />Lots of room for shady stuff with this one.<br /><br />My scaner is being dificult....I think it is haveing issue's.<br /><br />shadywood.