Mercury V6 oil injection

nilsson

Cadet
great forum guys!<br /><br />I've just bought a 17.5ft boat with a 1986 Merc 135 V6 Blackmax with oil inj. The guy who sold it to me told of his mechanic suggesting it be run with 50/1 premix in the tank despite the factory oil injection system still connected and supposedly operating. I'm guessing that the motor will run oil-rich because of this and could cause piston ring sticking. According to this mechanic, having both injection AND premix will guarantee against seizure. This guy has retired and is not available. <br />Any comments on this idea?, and how would be the best way to remove the system if the idea's a dud?. I'm aware it uses a gear-driven pump.<br />Thanks plenty

jacobe

Recruit
Re: Mercury V6 oil injection

I would check and see if the injecters are work if they are just run and have a little oil in the gas for a safe I would not do it 50:1

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury V6 oil injection

Do a search on the oil injection subject. There are a lot of good discussions on this common subject. I have my own opinions on which is better, but I think that after you do some research here, you should choose one or the other and go with it and not try to do both.